42 U.S. Code § 13474 - Fusion energy
(b) Program goals
The goals of the program established under subsection (a) of this section shall include—
(2) United States participation in the Engineering Design Activity of the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) program and in the related research and technology development efforts;
(3) the development of technology for fusion power and industrial participation in the development of such technology;
(4) the design and construction of a major new machine for fusion research and technology development consistent with paragraphs (2) and (3); and
(c) Management plan
(1) Within 180 days after October 24, 1992, the Secretary shall prepare a comprehensive management plan for the fusion energy program. The plan shall include specific program objectives, milestones and schedules for technology development, and cost estimates and program management resource requirements.
(2) The plan shall also include a description of—
(A) United States participation in the Engineering Design Activity of ITER, including industrial participation;
(B) potential United States participation in the construction and operation of an ITER facility; and
(3) As part of the plan required under paragraph (1), the Secretary shall evaluate the status of international fusion programs and evaluate whether the Federal Government should initiate efforts to strengthen existing international cooperative agreements in fusion energy or enter into new cooperative agreements to accomplish the purposes of this section.
(4) The plan shall also evaluate the extent to which university or private sector participation is appropriate or necessary in order to carry out the purposes of this section.
(5) The President shall include in the budget submitted to the Congress each year under section 1105 of title 31 a report prepared by the Secretary describing the progress made in meeting the program objectives, milestones, and schedules established in the management plan. Each such report shall also describe the organization of the program, the personnel assigned and funds committed to the program, and expenditures made in carrying out the program objectives. The report shall be submitted with the plan required under section 13523 of this title.
Source(Pub. L. 102–486, title XXI, § 2114,Oct. 24, 1992, 106 Stat. 3073; Pub. L. 104–66, title I, § 1052(i),Dec. 21, 1995, 109 Stat. 719.)
1995—Subsec. (c)(5). Pub. L. 104–66inserted first sentence and struck out former first sentence which read as follows: “Within 1 year after October 24, 1992, and every 2 years thereafter, the Secretary shall issue a report describing the progress made in meeting the program objectives, milestones, and schedules established in the management plan.”