42 U.S. Code § 274f - Reimbursement of travel and subsistence expenses incurred toward living organ donation
prev | next
(a) In general
The Secretary may award grants to States, transplant centers, qualified organ procurement organizations under section 273 of this title, or other public or private entities for the purpose of—
(1) providing for the reimbursement of travel and subsistence expenses incurred by individuals toward making living donations of their organs (in this section referred to as “donating individuals”); and
The Secretary shall, in carrying out subsection (a) of this section, give preference to those individuals that the Secretary determines are more likely to be otherwise unable to meet such expenses.
(c) Certain circumstances
The Secretary may, in carrying out subsection (a) of this section, consider—
(1) the term “donating individuals” as including individuals who in good faith incur qualifying expenses toward the intended donation of an organ but with respect to whom, for such reasons as the Secretary determines to be appropriate, no donation of the organ occurs; and
(2) the term “qualifying expenses” as including the expenses of having relatives or other individuals, not to exceed 2, accompany or assist the donating individual for purposes of subsection (a) of this section (subject to making payment for only those types of expenses that are paid for a donating individual).
(d) Relationship to payments under other programs
An award may be made under subsection (a) of this section only if the applicant involved agrees that the award will not be expended to pay the qualifying expenses of a donating individual to the extent that payment has been made, or can reasonably be expected to be made, with respect to such expenses—
(1) under any State compensation program, under an insurance policy, or under any Federal or State health benefits program;
For purposes of this section:
(1) The term “donating individuals” has the meaning indicated for such term in subsection (a)(1) of this section, subject to subsection (c)(1) of this section.
Source(July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title III, § 377, as added Pub. L. 101–616, title II, § 206(a),Nov. 16, 1990, 104 Stat. 3285; amended Pub. L. 108–216, § 3,Apr. 5, 2004, 118 Stat. 584.)
2004—Pub. L. 108–216amended section catchline and text generally, substituting provisions relating to reimbursement of travel and subsistence expenses incurred toward living organ donation for provisions requiring the Comptroller General to study and report on organ procurement and allocation.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.