42 U.S. Code § 2991d–1 - Panel review of applications for assistance
prev | next
(a) Establishment of formal panel; members
(1) The Commissioner shall establish a formal panel review process for purposes of—
(A) evaluating applications for financial assistance under sections 2991b and 2991d of this title; and
(2) To implement the process established under paragraph (1), the Commissioner shall appoint members of review panels from among individuals who are not officers or employees of the Administration for Native Americans. In making appointments to such panels, the Commissioner shall give preference to American Indians, Native Hawaiians, other Native American Pacific Islanders (including American Samoan Natives), and Alaska Natives.
(b) Duties of panel
Each review panel appointed under subsection (a)(2) of this section that reviews any application for financial assistance shall—
(2) rank such application with respect to all other applications it reviews for the fiscal year involved, according to the relative merit of all of the projects that are described in such application and for which financial assistance is requested; and
(c) Notice to Congressional committee chairman; information required
Upon the request of the chairman of the Committee on Indian Affairs of the Senate or of the chairman of the Committee on Education and Labor of the House of Representatives made with respect to any application for financial assistance under section 2991b or 2991d of this title, the Commissioner shall transmit to the chairman written notice—
(2) containing a copy of the list submitted to the Commissioner under subsection (b)(3) of this section in which such application is ranked;
(3) specifying which other applications ranked in such list have been approved by the Commissioner under sections 2991b and 2991d of this title; and
(4) if the Commissioner has not approved each application superior in merit, as indicated on such list, to the application with respect to which such notice is transmitted, containing a statement of the reasons relied upon by the Commissioner for—
Source(Pub. L. 88–452, title VIII, § 806, as added and amended Pub. L. 100–175, title V, §§ 502(4), 504 (b)(2),Nov. 29, 1987, 101 Stat. 973, 975; Pub. L. 102–375, title VIII, § 822(6), (21),Sept. 30, 1992, 106 Stat. 1298, 1300; Pub. L. 103–171, § 5(5),Dec. 2, 1993, 107 Stat. 1992; Pub. L. 103–437, § 15(k),Nov. 2, 1994, 108 Stat. 4593.)
A prior section 806 ofPub. L. 88–452was renumbered section 807 and is classified to section 2991e of this title.
Another prior section 806 ofPub. L. 88–452, title VIII, as added Pub. L. 89–794, title VIII, § 801,Nov. 8, 1966, 80 Stat. 1474, provided for duration of VISTA program through June 30, 1970, and was classified to section 2991e of this title, prior to the general amendment of this subchapter by Pub. L. 90–222, title I, § 110,Dec. 23, 1967, 81 Stat. 722.
1994—Subsec. (c). Pub. L. 103–437substituted “Committee on Indian Affairs” for “Select Committee on Indian Affairs”.
1993—Subsec. (a)(2). Pub. L. 103–171substituted “Alaska” for “Alaskan”.
1992—Pub. L. 102–375, § 822(6), substituted “Commissioner” for “Secretary” wherever appearing.
Subsec. (a)(2). Pub. L. 102–375, § 822(21), which directed the substitution of “Alaska Native” for “Alaskan Native”, could not be executed because the words “Alaskan Native” did not appear.
1987—Subsec. (a)(2). Pub. L. 100–175, § 504(b)(2), which directed that par. (2) be amended by inserting “other Native American Pacific Islanders (including American Samoan Natives),” after “Hawaiian Natives,” was executed by making the insertion after “Native Hawaiians,” to reflect the probable intent of Congress.
Change of Name
Committee on Education and Labor of House of Representatives changed to Committee on Education and the Workforce of House of Representatives by House Resolution No. 5, One Hundred Twelfth Congress, Jan. 5, 2011.