49 U.S. Code § 28501 - Definitions
prev | next
In this chapter—
(2) the term “capital work” means maintenance, restoration, reconstruction, capacity enhancement, or rehabilitation work on trackage that would be treated, in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, as a capital item rather than an expense;
(3) the term “commuter rail passenger transportation” has the meaning given that term in section 24102;
(4) the term “public transportation authority” means a local governmental authority (as defined in section 5302 (a)(6))  established to provide, or make a contract providing for, commuter rail passenger transportation;
(5) the term “rail carrier” means a person, other than a governmental authority, providing common carrier railroad transportation for compensation subject to the jurisdiction of the Board under chapter 105;
(6) the term “segregated fixed guideway facility” means a fixed guideway facility constructed within the railroad right-of-way of a rail carrier but physically separate from trackage, including relocated trackage, within the right-of-way used by a rail carrier for freight transportation purposes; and
(7) the term “trackage” means a railroad line of a rail carrier, including a spur, industrial, team, switching, side, yard, or station track, and a facility of a rail carrier.
 See References in Text note below.
Source(Added Pub. L. 110–432, div. B, title IV, § 401(a),Oct. 16, 2008, 122 Stat. 4955.)
References in Text