51 U.S. Code § 50131 - Requirement to procure commercial space transportation services
prev | next
(a) In General.— Except as otherwise provided in this section, the Federal Government shall acquire space transportation services from United States commercial providers whenever such services are required in the course of its activities. To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers.
(b) Exceptions.— The Federal Government shall not be required to acquire space transportation services under subsection (a) if, on a case-by-case basis, the Administrator or, in the case of a national security issue, the Secretary of the Air Force, determines that—
(2) cost effective space transportation services that meet specific mission requirements would not be reasonably available from United States commercial providers when required;
(3) the use of space transportation services from United States commercial providers poses an unacceptable risk of loss of a unique scientific opportunity;
(4) the use of space transportation services from United States commercial providers is inconsistent with national security objectives;
(5) the use of space transportation services from United States commercial providers is inconsistent with international agreements for international collaborative efforts relating to science and technology;
(6) it is more cost effective to transport a payload in conjunction with a test or demonstration of a space transportation vehicle owned by the Federal Government; or
(c) Agreements With Foreign Entities.— Nothing in this section shall prevent the Administrator from planning or negotiating agreements with foreign entities for the launch of Federal Government payloads for international collaborative efforts relating to science and technology.
(d) Delayed Effect.— Subsection (a) shall not apply to space transportation services and space transportation vehicles acquired or owned by the Federal Government before October 28, 1998, or with respect to which a contract for such acquisition or ownership has been entered into before October 28, 1998.
Source(Pub. L. 111–314, § 3,Dec. 18, 2010, 124 Stat. 3399.)
|Revised Section||Source (U.S. Code)||Source (Statutes at Large)|
|42 U.S.C. 14731(a).|
|Pub. L. 105–303, title II, § 201, Oct. 28, 1998, 112 Stat. 2854.|
|42 U.S.C. 14731(b) (less last sentence).|
|42 U.S.C. 14731(b) (last sentence).|
|42 U.S.C. 14731(c).|
|42 U.S.C. 14731(d).|
In subsection (d), the date “October 28, 1998” is substituted for “the date of the enactment of this Act” and for “such date” to reflect the date of enactment of the Commercial Space Act of 1998 (Public Law 105–303, 112 Stat. 2843).