7 U.S. Code § 950aa - Additional powers and duties
prev | next
The Secretary shall—
(1) provide advice and guidance to electric borrowers under this chapter concerning the effective and prudent use by such borrowers of the investment authority under section 940b of this title to promote rural development;
(2) provide technical advice, troubleshooting, and guidance concerning the operation of programs or systems that receive assistance under this chapter;
(3) establish and administer various pilot projects through electric and telephone borrowers that the Secretary determines are useful or necessary, and recommend specific rural development projects for rural areas;
(4) act as an information clearinghouse and conduit to provide information to electric and telephone borrowers under this chapter concerning useful and effective rural development efforts that such borrowers may wish to apply in their areas of operation and concerning State, regional, or local plans for long-term rural economic development;
(5) provide information to electric and telephone borrowers under this chapter concerning the eligibility of such borrowers to apply for financial assistance, loans, or grants from other Federal agencies and non-Federal sources to enable such borrowers to expand their rural development efforts; and
Source(May 20, 1936, ch. 432, title V, § 501, as added Pub. L. 101–624, title XXIII, § 2345,Nov. 28, 1990, 104 Stat. 4029; amended Pub. L. 102–237, title VII, § 703(c),Dec. 13, 1991, 105 Stat. 1881; Pub. L. 103–354, title II, § 235(a)(12), (13),Oct. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 3221; Pub. L. 104–127, title VII, § 781(b),Apr. 4, 1996, 110 Stat. 1151.)
1996—Par. (7). Pub. L. 104–127struck out par. (7) which read as follows: “administer a Rural Business Incubator Fund (as established under section 950aa–1 of this title) that shall provide technical assistance, advice, loans, or capital to business incubator programs or for the creation or operation of small business incubators in rural areas.”
1994—Pub. L. 103–354struck out “of REA Administrator” at end of section catchline and substituted “Secretary” for “Administrator” in introductory provisions and par. (3).
1991—Pars. (6) to (8). Pub. L. 102–237inserted “and” at end of par. (6), redesignated par. (8) as (7), and struck out former par. (7) which read as follows: “review the advice and recommendations of the Rural Educational Opportunities Board as established under section 601 (f); and”.
Effective Date of 1991 Amendment