10 CFR 71.47 - External radiation standards for all packages.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, each package of radioactive materials offered for transportation must be designed and prepared for shipment so that under conditions normally incident to transportation the radiation level does not exceed 2 mSv/h (200 mrem/h) at any point on the external surface of the package, and the transport index does not exceed 10.
(b) A package that exceeds the radiation level limits specified in paragraph (a) of this section must be transported by exclusive use shipment only, and the radiation levels for such shipment must not exceed the following during transportation:
(1) 2 mSv/h (200 mrem/h) on the external surface of the package, unless the following conditions are met, in which case the limit is 10 mSv/h (1000 mrem/h):
(i) The shipment is made in a closed transport vehicle;
(ii) The package is secured within the vehicle so that its position remains fixed during transportation; and
(iii) There are no loading or unloading operations between the beginning and end of the transportation;
(2) 2 mSv/h (200 mrem/h) at any point on the outer surface of the vehicle, including the top and underside of the vehicle; or in the case of a flat-bed style vehicle, at any point on the vertical planes projected from the outer edges of the vehicle, on the upper surface of the load or enclosure, if used, and on the lower external surface of the vehicle; and
(3) 0.1 mSv/h (10 mrem/h) at any point 2 meters (80 in) from the outer lateral surfaces of the vehicle (excluding the top and underside of the vehicle); or in the case of a flat-bed style vehicle, at any point 2 meters (6.6 feet) from the vertical planes projected by the outer edges of the vehicle (excluding the top and underside of the vehicle); and
(4) 0.02 mSv/h (2 mrem/h) in any normally occupied space, except that this provision does not apply to private carriers, if exposed personnel under their control wear radiation dosimetry devices in conformance with 10 CFR 20.1502.
(c) For shipments made under the provisions of paragraph (b) of this section, the shipper shall provide specific written instructions to the carrier for maintenance of the exclusive use shipment controls. The instructions must be included with the shipping paper information.
(d) The written instructions required for exclusive use shipments must be sufficient so that, when followed, they will cause the carrier to avoid actions that will unnecessarily delay delivery or unnecessarily result in increased radiation levels or radiation exposures to transport workers or members of the general public.
Title 10 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 10 CFR Part 71 after this date.
- 10 CFR 71.87 — Routine Determinations.
- 10 CFR 20.1906 — Procedures for Receiving and Opening Packages.
- 10 CFR 71.6 — Information Collection Requirements: OMB Approval.
- 10 CFR 71.100 — Criminal Penalties.
- 10 CFR 71.55 — General Requirements for Fissile Material Packages.
- 10 CFR 71.51 — Additional Requirements for Type B Packages.
Title 10 published on 2015-12-04.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 10.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.