10 CFR 73.20 - General performance objective and requirements.
(a) In addition to any other requirements of this part, each licensee who is authorized to operate a fuel reprocessing plant pursuant to part 50 of this chapter; possesses or uses formula quantities of strategic special nuclear material at any site or contiguous sites subject to control by the licensee; is authorized to transport or deliver to a carrier for transportation pursuant to part 70 of this chapter formula quantities of strategic special nuclear material; takes delivery of formula quantities of strategic special nuclear material free on board (f.o.b.) the point at which it is delivered to a carrier for transportation; or imports or exports formula quantities of strategic special nuclear material, shall establish and maintain or make arrangements for a physical protection system which will have as its objective to provide high assurance that activities involving special nuclear material are not inimical to the common defense and security, and do not constitute an unreasonable risk to the public health and safety. The physical protection system shall be designed to protect against the design basis threats of theft or diversion of strategic special nuclear material and radiological sabotage as stated in § 73.1(a).
(b) To achieve the general performance objective of paragraph (a) of this section a licensee shall establish and maintain, or arrange for, a physical protection system that:
(2) Is designed with sufficient redundancy and diversity to ensure maintenance of the capabilities described in §§ 73.25 and 73.45;
(3) Includes a safeguards contingency capability that can meet the criteria in appendix C to this part “Licensee Safeguards Contingency Plans;” and
(4) Includes a testing and maintenance program to assure control over all activities and devices affecting the effectiveness, reliability, and availability of the physical protection system, including a demonstration that any defects of such activities and devices will be promptly detected and corrected for the total period of time they are required as a part of the physical protection system.
(c) Each licensee subject to the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section shall establish, maintain, and follow NRC-approved safeguards physical protection and safeguards contingency plans that describe how the licensee will comply with the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section.
- 10 CFR 70.20a — General License to Possess Special Nuclear Material for Transport.
- 10 CFR 70.32 — Conditions of Licenses.
- 10 CFR 70.20b — General License for Carriers of Transient Shipments of Formula Quantities of Strategic Special Nuclear Material, Special Nuclear Material of Moderate Strategic Significance, Special Nuclear Material of Low Strategic Significance, and Irradiated Reactor Fuel.
- 10 CFR 73.67 — Licensee Fixed Site and In-Transit Requirements for the Physical Protection of Special Nuclear Material of Moderate and Low Strategic Significance.
- 10 CFR 73.71 — Reporting of Safeguards Events.
- 10 CFR 73.55 — Requirements for Physical Protection of Licensed Activities in Nuclear Power Reactors Against Radiological Sabotage.
- 10 CFR 73.1 — Purpose and Scope.
- 10 CFR 73.51 — Requirements for the Physical Protection of Stored Spent Nuclear Fuel and High-Level Radioactive Waste.
- 10 CFR 11.13 — Special Requirements for Transportation.
- 10 CFR 73.70 — Records.
- 10 CFR 73.25 — Performance Capabilities for Physical Protection of Strategic Special Nuclear Material in Transit.
- 10 CFR 73.46 — Fixed Site Physical Protection Systems, Subsystems, Components, and Procedures.
- 10 CFR 73.26 — Transportation Physical Protection Systems, Subsystems, Components, and Procedures.
- 10 CFR 73.45 — Performance Capabilities for Fixed Site Physical Protection Systems.
- 10 CFR 73.24 — Prohibitions.