12 CFR § 5.3 - Definitions.
As used in this part:
(b) Application means a submission requesting OCC approval to engage in various corporate activities and transactions.
(c) Appropriate OCC licensing office means the OCC office that is responsible for processing applications or notices to engage in various corporate activities or transactions, as described at www.occ.gov.
(e) Capital and surplus means:
(1) For qualifying community banking organizations that have elected to use the community bank leverage ratio framework, as set forth under the OCC's Capital Adequacy Standards at part 3 of this chapter:
(ii) A qualifying community banking organization's allowance for loan and lease losses or adjusted allowances for credit losses, as applicable, as reported in the national bank's or Federal savings association's Consolidated Report of Condition and Income (Call Report); or
(2) For all other national banks and Federal savings associations:
(i) A national bank's or Federal savings association's tier 1 and tier 2 capital calculated under the OCC's risk-based capital standards set forth in part 3 of this chapter, as applicable, as reported in the Call Report; plus
(ii) The balance of the national bank's or Federal savings association's allowance for loan and lease losses or adjusted allowances for credit losses, as applicable, not included in the institution's tier 2 capital, for purposes of the calculation of risk-based capital described in paragraph (e)(2)(i) of this section, as reported in the Call Report.
(f) Depository institution means any bank or savings association.
(1) Is well capitalized as defined in 12 CFR 6.4;
(2) Has a composite rating of 1 or 2 under the Uniform Financial Institutions Rating System (CAMELS);
(3) Has a Community Reinvestment Act (CRA), 12 U.S.C. 2901 et seq., rating of “Outstanding” or “Satisfactory,” if applicable;
(4) Has a consumer compliance rating of 1 or 2 under the Uniform Interagency Consumer Compliance Rating System; and
(5) Is not subject to a cease and desist order, consent order, formal written agreement, or Prompt Corrective Action directive (see 12 CFR part 6, subpart B) or, if subject to any such order, agreement, or directive, is informed in writing by the OCC that the bank or savings association may be treated as an “eligible bank or eligible savings association” for purposes of this part.
(h) Eligible depository institution means:
(1) With respect to a national bank, a state bank or a Federal or state savings association that meets the criteria for an “eligible bank or eligible savings association” under § 5.3(g) and is FDIC-insured; and
(2) With respect to a Federal savings association, a state or national bank or a state savings association that meets the criteria for an “eligible bank or eligible savings association” under § 5.3(g) and is FDIC-insured.
(j) Notice, in general, means a submission notifying the OCC that a national bank or Federal savings association intends to engage in or has commenced certain corporate activities or transactions. The specific meaning of notice depends on the context of the rule in which it is used and may require the filer to obtain prior OCC approval before engaging in the activity or transaction, may provide the OCC with authority to disapprove the notice, or may be informational requiring no official OCC action.
(k) Principal city means an area designated as a “principal city” by the Office of Management and Budget.
(1) One thousand foot-radius of the site if the branch, main office, or home office is located within a principal city of an MSA;
(2) One-mile radius of the site if the branch, main office, or home office is not located within a principal city, but is located within an MSA; or
(3) Two-mile radius of the site if the branch, main office, or home office is not located within an MSA.