17 CFR 270.2a19-2 - Investment company general partners not deemed interested persons.
This § 270.2a19-2 conditionally excepts from the definition of interested person in section 2(a)(19) ( 15 U.S.C. 80a-2(a)(19)) general partners of investment companies organized in limited partnership form. Compliance with the conditions of this § 270.2a19-2 does not relieve an investment company of any other requirement of this Act, or except a general partner that is an interested person by virtue of any other provision.
(a)Director General Partners Not Deemed Interested Persons. A general partner serving as a director of a limited partnership investment company shall not be deemed to be an interested person of such company, or of any investment adviser of, or principal underwriter for, such company, solely by reason of being a partner of the limited partnership investment company, or a copartner in the limited partnership investment company with any investment adviser of, or principal underwriter for, the company, provided that the Limited Partnership Agreement contains in substance the following:
(1) Only general partners who are natural persons shall serve as, and perform the functions of, directors of the limited partnership investment company, except that any general partner may act as provided in paragraph (a)(2)(iii) of this section.
(2) A general partner shall not have the authority to act individually on behalf of, or to bind, the Limited Partnership Investment Company, except:
(ii) Within the scope of such person's authority as delegated by the board of directors; or
(iii) In the event that no director of the company remains, to the extent necessary to continue the Limited Partnership Investment Company, for such limited periods as are permitted under the Act to fill director vacancies.
(3) Limited partners shall have all of the rights afforded shareholders under the Act. If a limited partnership interest is transferred in a manner that is effective under the Partnership Agreement, the transferee shall have all of the rights afforded shareholders under the Act.
(4) A general partner shall not withdraw from the Limited Partnership Investment Company or reduce its Federal Tax Status Contribution without giving at least one year's prior written notice to the Limited Partnership Investment Company, if such withdrawal or reduction is likely to cause the company to lose its partnership tax classification. This paragraph (a)(4) shall not apply to an investment adviser general partner if the company terminates its advisory agreement with such general partner.
(1) “Federal Tax Status Contribution” shall mean the interest (including limited partnership interest) in each material item of partnership income, gain, loss, deduction, or credit, and other contributions, required to be held or made by general partners, pursuant to section 4 of Internal Revenue Service Revenue Procedure 89-12, or any successor provisions thereto.
(2) “Limited Partnership Investment Company” shall mean a registered management company or a business development company that is organized as a limited partnership under state law.
(3) “Partnership Agreement” shall mean the agreement of the partners of the Limited Partnership Investment Company as to the affairs of the limited partnership and the conduct of its business.
Title 17 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 17 CFR Part 270 after this date.