21 CFR 174.5 - General provisions applicable to indirect food additives.
(a) Regulations prescribing conditions under which food additive substances may be safely used predicate usage under conditions of good manufacturing practice. For the purpose of this part and parts 175, 176, and 177 of this chapter, good manufacturing practice shall be defined to include the following restrictions:
(1) The quantity of any food additive substance that may be added to food as a result of use in articles that contact food shall not exceed, where no limits are specified, that which results from use of the substance in an amount not more than reasonably required to accomplish the intended physical or technical effect in the food-contact article; shall not exceed any prescribed limitations; and shall not be intended to accomplish any physical or technical effect in the food itself, except as such may be permitted by regulations in parts 170 through 189 of this chapter.
(b) The existence in the subchapter B of a regulation prescribing safe conditions for the use of a substance as an article or component of articles that contact food shall not be construed to relieve such use of the substance or article from compliance with any other provision of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. For example, if a regulated food-packaging material were found on appropriate test to impart odor or taste to a specific food product such as to render it unfit within the meaning of section 402(a)(3) of the Act, the regulation would not be construed to relieve such use from compliance with section 402(a)(3).
(c) The existence in this subchapter B of a regulation prescribing safe conditions for the use of a substance as an article or component of articles that contact food shall not be construed as implying that such substance may be safely used as a direct additive in food.
- 21 CFR 106.100 — Records.
- 21 CFR 175.365 — Vinylidene Chloride Copolymer Coatings for Polycarbonate Film.
- 21 CFR 177.1585 — Polyestercarbonate Resins.
- 21 CFR 177.2415 — Poly(aryletherketone) Resins.
- 21 CFR 173.21 — Perfluorinated Ion Exchange Membranes.
- 21 CFR 177.1390 — Laminate Structures for Use at Temperatures of 250 °F and Above.
- 21 CFR 177.2440 — Polyethersulfone Resins.
- 21 CFR 177.1556 — Polyaryletherketone Resins.
- 21 CFR 177.1395 — Laminate Structures for Use at Temperatures Between 120 °F and 250 °F.
- 21 CFR 177.1655 — Polysulfone Resins.
- 21 CFR 177.1345 — Ethylene/1,3-Phenylene Oxyethylene Isophthalate/ Terephthalate Copolymer.
- 21 CFR 177.1632 — Poly(phenyleneterephthalamide) Resins.