28 CFR 79.31 - Definitions.
(a) The definitions listed in § 79.11(b), (e), (f), (g), and (h), and in § 79.21, apply to this subpart.
(b) Atmospheric detonation of a nuclear device means only a test conducted by the United States prior to January 1, 1963, as listed in paragraph (d) of this section.
(d) Period of atmospheric nuclear testing means one of the periods listed in this paragraph that are associated with each test operation, plus an additional six-month period thereafter:
(1) For Operation Trinity, the period July 16, 1945, through August 6, 1945:
|Trinity||07/16/45||Trinity Test Site|
(2) For Operation Crossroads, the period June 28, 1946, through August 31, 1946, for all activities other than the decontamination of ships involved in Operation Crossroads; the period of atmospheric nuclear testing for the decontamination of ships involved in Operation Crossroads shall run from June 28, 1946, through November 30, 1946:
(3) For Operation Sandstone, the period April 13, 1948, through May 20, 1948:
(4) For Operation Ranger, the period January 27, 1951, through February 7, 1951:
|Able||01/27/51||Nevada Test Site (“NTS”)|
(5) For Operation Greenhouse, the period April 5, 1951, through June 20, 1951, for all activities other than service as a member of the garrison or maintenance forces on the atoll of Enewetak between June 21, 1951, and July 1, 1952; the period of atmospheric nuclear testing for service as a member of the garrison or maintenance forces on the atoll of Enewetak shall run from April 5, 1951, through July 1, 1952:
(6) For Operation Buster-Jangle, the period October 22, 1951, through December 20, 1951:
(7) For Operation Tumbler-Snapper, the period April 1, 1952, through June 20, 1952:
(8) For Operation Ivy, the period October 29, 1952, through December 31, 1952:
(9) For Operation Upshot-Knothole, the period March 17, 1953, through June 20, 1953:
(10) For Operation Castle, the period February 27, 1954, through May 31, 1954
(11) For Operation Teapot, the period February 18, 1955, through June 10, 1955:
(12) For Operation Wigwam, the period May 14, 1955, through May 15, 1955:
(13) For Operation Redwing, the period May 2, 1956, through August 6, 1956, for all activities other than service as a member of the garrison or maintenance forces on the atoll of Enewetak from August 7, 1956, through August 7, 1957; the period of atmospheric nuclear testing for service as a member of the garrison or maintenance forces on the atoll of Enewetak shall run from May 2, 1956, through August 7, 1957:
(14) For Operation Plumbbob, the period May 28, 1957, through October 22, 1957:
(15) For Operation Hardtack I, the period April 26, 1958, through October 31, 1958, for all activities other than service as a member of the garrison or maintenance forces on the atoll of Enewetak from November 1, 1958, through April 30, 1959; the period of atmospheric nuclear testing for service as a member of the garrison or maintenance forces on the atoll of Enewetak shall run from April 26, 1958, through April 30, 1959:
(16) For Operation Argus, the period August 25, 1958, through September 10, 1958:
|Argus I||08/27/58||South Atlantic|
|Argus II||08/30/58||South Atlantic|
|Argus III||09/06/58||South Atlantic|
(17) For Operation Hardtack II, the period September 19, 1958, through October 31, 1958:
(18) For Operation Dominic I, the period April 23, 1962, through December 31, 1962:
(19) For Operation Dominic II, the period July 7, 1962, through August 15, 1962:
|Little Feller II||07/07/62||NTS|
|Little Feller I||07/17/62||NTS|
(20) For Operation Plowshare, the period July 6, 1962, through July 7, 1962, covering Project Sedan.