30 CFR 816.102 - Backfilling and grading: General requirements.
(a)Disturbed areas shall be backfilled and graded to -
(2) Eliminate all highwalls, spoil piles, and depressions, except as provided in paragraph (h) (small depressions) and in paragraph (k)(3)(iii) (previously mined highwalls) of this section;
(4) Minimize erosion and water pollution both on and off the site; and
(5) Support the approved postmining land use.
(c)Spoil and waste materials shall be compacted where advisable to ensure stability or to prevent leaching of toxic materials.
(d)Spoil may be placed on the area outside the mined-out area in nonsteep slope areas to restore the approximate original contour by blending the spoil into the surrounding terrain if the following requirements are met:
(1) All vegetative and organic material shall be removed from the area.
(3) The spoil shall be backfilled and graded on the area in accordance with the requirements of this section.
(e) Disposal of coal processing waste and underground development waste in the mined-out area shall be in accordance with §§ 816.81 and 816.83, except that a long-term static safety factor of 1.3 shall be achieved.
(f) Exposed coal seams, acid- and toxic-forming materials, and combustible materials exposed, used, or produced during mining shall be adequately covered with nontoxic and noncombustible material, or treated, to control the impact on surface and ground water in accordance with § 816.41, to prevent sustained combustion, and to minimize adverse effects on plant growth and the approved postmining land use.
(g) Cut-and-fill terraces may be allowed by the regulatory authority where -
(2) Specialized grading, foundation conditions, or roads are required for the approved postmining land use, in which case the final grading may include a terrace of adequate width to ensure the safety, stability, and erosion control necessary to implement the postmining land-use plan.
(h) Small depressions may be constructed if they are needed to retain moisture, minimize erosion, create and enhance wildlife habitat, or assist revegetation.
(j) Preparation of final-graded surfaces shall be conducted in a manner that minimizes erosion and provides a surface for replacement of topsoil that will minimize slippage.
(3) Approval is obtained from the regulatory authority for -
(i) Mountaintop removal operations in accordance with § 785.14 of this chapter;
Title 30 published on 2015-10-21
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 30 CFR Part 816 after this date.
- 30 CFR 819.19 — Auger Mining: Backfilling and Grading.
- 30 CFR 701.5 — Definitions.
- 30 CFR 816.104 — Backfilling and Grading: Thin Overburden.
- 30 CFR 815.15 — Performance Standards for Coal Exploration.
- 30 CFR 785.16 — Permits Incorporating Variances From Approximate Original Contour Restoration Requirements for Steep Slope Mining.
- 30 CFR 816.74 — Disposal of Excess Spoil: Preexisting Benches.
- 30 CFR 816.107 — Backfilling and Grading: Steep Slopes.
- 30 CFR 785.14 — Mountaintop Removal Mining.
- 30 CFR 816.106 — Backfilling and Grading: Previously Mined Areas.
- 30 CFR 942.816 — Performance Standards - Surface Mining Activities.
- 30 CFR 816.45 — Hydrologic Balance: Sediment Control Measures.
- 30 CFR 816.105 — Backfilling and Grading: Thick Overburden.
Title 30 published on 2015-10-21.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 30.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.