(1) Prevent, to the extent possible, additional contributions of sediment to streamflow or to runoff outside the permit area.
(2) Meet the applicable effluent limitations referenced in § 816.42(a) of this part.
(3) Minimize erosion to the extent possible.
(b) Sediment control measures include practices carried out within the disturbed area. Sediment control measures consist of the use of proper mining and reclamation methods and sediment control practices, singly or in combination. Sediment control methods include but are not limited to -
(1) Disturbing the smallest practicable area at any one time during the mining operation through progressive backfilling, grading, and prompt revegetation.
(2) Shaping and stabilizing the backfilled material to promote a reduction in the rate and volume of runoff.
(3) Retaining sediment within disturbed areas.
(4) Diverting surface runoff from undisturbed areas away from disturbed areas.