30 CFR 937.773 - Requirements for permits and permit processing.
(a) Part 773 of this chapter, Requirements for Permits and Permit Processing, shall apply to any person who applies for a permit for surface coal mining and reclamation operations.
(b) In addition to the requirements of part 773, the following permit application review procedures shall apply:
(1) Any person applying for a permit shall submit five copies of the application to the Office.
(2) The Office shall review an application for administrative completeness and acceptability for further review and shall notify the applicant in writing of the findings. The Office may:
(i) Reject a flagrantly deficient application, notifying the application of the findings;
(ii) Request additional information required for completeness stating specifically what information must be supplied and negotiate the date by which the information must be submitted; or
(iii) Judge the application administratively complete and acceptable for further review.
(3) Should the applicant not submit the information as required by § 937.773(b)(2)(ii) by the specified date, the office may reject the application. When the applicant submits the required information by the specified date, the Office shall review it and advise the applicant concerning its acceptability.
(4) When the application is judged administratively complete, the applicant shall be advised by the Office to file the public notice required by § 773.6 of this chapter.
(5) A representative of the Office shall visit the proposed permit area to determine whether the operation and reclamation plans are consistent with actual site conditions. The applicant will be notified in advance of the time of the visit. At the time of the visit, the applicant shall have the locations of the proposed permit boundaries, topsoil storage areas, sediment control structures, roads, and other significant features contained in the application marked by flags.
(c) In addition to the information required by subchapter G of this chapter, the Office may require an applicant to submit supplementary information to ensure compliance with applicable Federal laws and regulations other than the Act.
(d) Where applicable, no person shall conduct surface coal exploration operations which result in the removal of more than 250 tons in one location, or surface coal mining operations without permits issued and/or certificates required by the State of Oregon, including compliance with Oregon's Statewide Planning Goals (ORS 197.180) and any relevant Country Comprehensive Land Use Plans (ORS 197.005-ORS 197.775); license from the Division of State Lands where mines or exploration are on State lands (ORS 273.005-273.815); Solid Waste Disposal Permits, Hazardous Waste Transportation and Disposal Permits, Industrial Waste Disposal Permits issued by the Department of Environmental Quality (ORS 459.005-ORS 459-850); leases issued by the county where county designated forest lands are involved (ORS 275.340); noise restrictions enforced by the Department of Environmental Quality (ORS 467.010-467.990); Air Contaminant Discharge Permits (ORS 468.005-ORS 468.997), Water Pollution Control Facilities Permits, Waste Discharge Permits (ORS 468.900-ORS 468.997), Energy Facility Site Certificates (ORS 469.300-ORS 469.570, ORS 469.990, ORS 469.992) issued by the Energy Facilities Siting Council; Department of Fish and Wildlife issues permits for dam use (ORS 509.600), for use of explosives used to construct dams or similar structures (ORS 509.140); the State Fire Marshall issues Certificates of Possession for persons having or using explosives (ORS 480.210); the Division of State Lands issues license for use of dredging machines (ORS 517.611-ORS 517.700); the Department of water Resources issues permits with respect to the use, appropriation or diversion of State waters (ORS 537.130, ORS 537.135) and surface waters (ORS 537.135, ORS 537.140 and ORS 537.800), and permits relative to the design, construction and maintenance of dams, dikes or other hydraulic structures or works (ORS 540.350, ORS 540.400); matter may be removed from the beds and banks of State waters and fill may be deposited in State waters once a permit is obtained from the Division of State Lands (ORS 541.605-ORS 541.990).