31 CFR 542.516 - Certain services in support of nongovernmental organizations' activities authorized.
(1) Activities to support humanitarian projects to meet basic human needs in Syria, including, but not limited to, drought relief, assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons, and conflict victims, food and medicine distribution, and the provision of health services;
(2) Activities to support democracy building in Syria, including, but not limited to, rule of law, citizen participation, government accountability, and civil society development projects;
(3) Activities to support education in Syria, including, but not limited to, combating illiteracy, increasing access to education, and assisting education reform projects;
(4) Activities to support non-commercial development projects directly benefiting the Syrian people, including, but not limited to, preventing infectious disease and promoting maternal/child health, sustainable agriculture, and clean water assistance; and
(5) Activities to support the preservation and protection of cultural heritage sites in Syria, including, but not limited to, museums, historic buildings, and archaeological sites.
(b) U.S. depository institutions, U.S. registered brokers or dealers in securities, and U.S. registered money transmitters are authorized to process transfers of funds on behalf of U.S. or third-country non-governmental organizations to or from Syria in support of the activities authorized by paragraph (a), provided that, except as authorized by paragraph (d) of this section, the transfer is not by, to, or through the Government of Syria or any other person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to § 542.201(a).
(c) U.S. persons engaging in transactions pursuant to paragraph (a)(5) or processing transfers of funds to or from Syria in support of activities authorized by paragraph (a)(5) of this section are required to file quarterly reports no later than 30 days following the end of the calendar quarter with OFAC. The reports should include complete information on all activities and transactions undertaken pursuant to paragraph (a)(5) and paragraph (b) in support of the activities authorized by paragraph (a)(5) of this section that took place during the reporting period, including the parties involved, the value of the transactions, the services provided, and the dates of the transactions. The reports should be addressed to the Office of Foreign Assets Control, Licensing Division, U.S. Treasury Department, 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue NW.-Annex, Washington, DC 20220.
(d) Nongovernmental organizations are authorized to engage in transactions with the Government of Syria that are necessary for the activities authorized by paragraph (a) of this section, including, but not limited to, payment of taxes, fees, and import duties to, and purchase or receipt of permits, licenses, or public utility services from, the Government of Syria.
(e) Except as authorized in paragraph (d), this section does not authorize the exportation or reexportation of services to, charitable donations to or for the benefit of, or any other transactions involving, the Government of Syria or any other person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to § 542.201(a). Specific licenses may be issued on a case-by-case basis for these purposes.
Title 31 published on 17-Nov-2018 03:48
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 31 CFR Part 542 after this date.