31 CFR 588.507 - Provision of certain legal services authorized.
(a) The provision of the following legal services to or on behalf of persons whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to § 588.201(a) is authorized, provided that all receipts of payment of professional fees and reimbursement of incurred expenses must be specifically licensed:
(1) Provision of legal advice and counseling on the requirements of and compliance with the laws of the United States or any jurisdiction within the United States, provided that such advice and counseling are not provided to facilitate transactions in violation of this part;
(2) Representation of persons named as defendants in or otherwise made parties to domestic U.S. legal, arbitration, or administrative proceedings;
(3) Initiation and conduct of legal, arbitration, or administrative proceedings before any U.S. federal, state, or local court or agency;
(4) Representation of persons before any U.S. federal, state, or local court or agency with respect to the imposition, administration, or enforcement of U.S. sanctions against such persons; and
(5) Provision of legal services in any other context in which prevailing U.S. law requires access to legal counsel at public expense.
(b) The provision by a U.S. person of professional legal services relating to the representation of persons whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to § 588.201(a) in matters pending before the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (the “ICTY”) is authorized. With respect to such representation, receipt of payment of professional fees and reimbursement of incurred expenses are authorized if such payments and reimbursements are made by the ICTY. Such payments and reimbursements from any other source must be specifically licensed.
(c) The provision of any other legal services to persons whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to § 588.201(a), not otherwise authorized in this part, requires the issuance of a specific license.
(d) Entry into a settlement agreement or the enforcement of any lien, judgment, arbitral award, decree, or other order through execution, garnishment, or other judicial process purporting to transfer or otherwise alter or affect property or interests in property blocked pursuant to § 588.201(a) is prohibited unless licensed pursuant to this part.
Title 31 published on 2014-07-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 31 CFR Part 588.