33 CFR § 160.216 - Notice of hazardous conditions.
(a) Whenever there is a hazardous condition either on board a vessel or caused by a vessel or its operation, the owner, agent, master, operator, or person in charge must immediately notify the nearest Coast Guard Sector Office or Group Office, and in addition submit any report required by 46 CFR 4.05-10.
(1) What was lost, including a description of cargo, substances involved, and types of packages;
(2) How many were lost, including the number of packages and quantity of substances they represent;
(3) When the incident occurred, including the time of the incident or period of time over which the incident occurred;
(4) Where the incident occurred, including the exact or estimated location of the incident, the route the ship was taking, and the weather (wind and sea) conditions at the time or approximate time of the incident; and
(5) How the incident occurred, including the circumstances of the incident, the type of securing equipment that was used, and any other material failures that may have contributed to the incident.