34 CFR 263.3 - What definitions apply to the Professional Development program?
The following definitions apply to the Professional Development program:
Department means the U.S. Department of Education.
Dependent allowance means costs for the care of minor children under the age of 18 who reside with the training participant and for whom the participant has responsibility. The term does not include financial obligations for payment of child support required of the participant.
Full course load means the number of credit hours that the institution requires of a full-time student.
Full-time student means a student who -
(1) Is a degree candidate for a baccalaureate or graduate degree;
(2) Carries a full course load; and
(3) Is not employed for more than 20 hours a week.
Good standing means a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 grade point scale in which failing grades are computed as part of the average, or another appropriate standard established by the institution.
Graduate degree means a post-baccalaureate degree awarded by an institution of higher education.
Indian means an individual who is -
(1) A member of an Indian tribe or band, as membership is defined by the Indian tribe or band, including any tribe or band terminated since 1940, and any tribe or band recognized by the State in which the tribe or band resides;
(2) A descendant of a parent or grandparent who meets the requirements of paragraph (1) of this definition;
(4) An Eskimo, Aleut, or other Alaska Native; or
Indian institution of higher education means an accredited college or university within the United States cited in section 532 of the Equity in Educational Land-Grant Status Act of 1994, any other institution that qualifies for funding under the Tribally Controlled College or University Assistance Act of 1978, and the Navajo Community College, authorized in the Navajo Community College Assistance Act of 1978.
Indian organization means an organization that -
(1) Is legally established -
(i) By tribal or inter-tribal charter or in accordance with State or tribal law; and
(ii) With appropriate constitution, by-laws, or articles of incorporation;
(2) Includes in its purposes the promotion of the education of Indians;
(3) Is controlled by a governing board, the majority of which is Indian;
(4) If located on an Indian reservation, operates with the sanction or by charter of the governing body of that reservation;
(5) Is neither an organization or subdivision of, nor under the direct control of, any institution of higher education; and
(6) Is not an agency of State or local government.
Induction services means services provided after participants complete their training program and during their first year of teaching. Induction services support and improve participants' professional performance and promote their retention in the field of education and teaching. They include, at a minimum, these activities:
(1) High-quality mentoring, coaching, and consultation services for the participant to improve performance;
(2) Access to research materials and information on teaching and learning;
(3) Assisting new teachers with use of technology in the classroom and use of data, particularly student achievement data, for classroom instruction;
(4) Clear, timely and useful feedback on performance, provided in coordination with the participant's supervisor; and
(5) Periodic meetings or seminars for participants to enhance collaboration, feedback, and peer networking and support.
In-service training means activities and opportunities designed to enhance the skills and abilities of individuals in their current areas of employment.
Institution of higher education means an accredited college or university within the United States that awards a baccalaureate or post-baccalaureate degree.
Participant means an Indian individual who is being trained under the Professional Development program.
Payback means work-related service or cash reimbursement to the Department of Education for the training received under the Professional Development program.
Pre-service training means training to Indian individuals to prepare them to meet the requirements for licensing or certification in a professional field requiring at least a baccalaureate degree.
Professional development activities means pre-service or in-service training offered to enhance the skills and abilities of individual participants.
Stipend means that portion of an award that is used for room, board, and personal living expenses for full-time participants who are living at or near the institution providing the training.