34 CFR § 602.33 - Procedures for review of agencies during the period of recognition.
(a) Department staff may review the compliance of a recognized agency with the criteria for recognition at any time -
(1) At the request of the Advisory Committee; or
(2) Based on any information that, as determined by Department staff, appears credible and raises issues relevant to recognition.
(b) The review may include, but need not be limited to, any of the activities described in § 602.32(b) and (d).
(c) If, in the course of the review, and after provision to the agency of the documentation concerning the inquiry and consultation with the agency, Department staff notes that one or more deficiencies may exist in the agency's compliance with the criteria for recognition or in the agency's effective application of those criteria, it -
(1) Prepares a written draft analysis of the agency's compliance with the criteria of concern. The draft analysis reflects the results of the review, and includes a recommendation regarding what action to take with respect to recognition. Possible recommendations include, but are not limited to, a recommendation to limit, suspend, or terminate recognition, or require the submission of a compliance report and to continue recognition pending a final decision on compliance;
(2) Sends the draft analysis including any identified areas of non-compliance, and a proposed recognition recommendation, and all supporting documentation to the agency; and
(3) Invites the agency to provide a written response to the draft analysis and proposed recognition recommendation, specifying a deadline that provides at least 30 days for the agency's response.
(d) If, after review of the agency's response to the draft analysis, Department staff concludes that the agency has demonstrated compliance with the criteria for recognition, the staff notifies the agency in writing of the results of the review. If the review was requested by the Advisory Committee, staff also provides the Advisory Committee with the results of the review.
(e) If, after review of the agency's response to the draft analysis, Department staff concludes that the agency has not demonstrated compliance, the staff -
(1) Notifies the agency that the draft analysis will be finalized for presentation to the Advisory Committee;
(2) Publishes a notice in the Federal Register including, if practicable, an invitation to the public to comment on the agency's compliance with the criteria in question and establishing a deadline for receipt of public comment;
(3) Provides the agency with a copy of all public comments received and, if practicable, invites a written response from the agency;
(4) Finalizes the staff analysis as necessary to reflect its review of any agency response and any public comment received; and
(5) Provides to the agency, no later than seven days before the Advisory Committee meeting, the final staff analysis and a recognition recommendation and any other information provided to the Advisory Committee under § 602.34(c).