34 CFR 690.8 - Enrollment status for students taking regular and correspondence courses.
(a) If, in addition to regular coursework, a student takes correspondence courses from either his or her own institution or another institution having an agreement for this purpose with the student's institution, the correspondence work may be included in determining the student's enrollment status to the extent permitted under paragraph (b) of this section.
(b) Except as noted in paragraph (c) of this section, the correspondence work that may be included in determining a student's enrollment status is that amount of work which -
(1) Applies toward a student's degree or certificate or is remedial work taken by the student to help in his or her course of study;
(2) Is completed within the period of time required for regular course work; and
(3) Does not exceed the amount of a student's regular course work for the payment period for which the student's enrollment status is being calculated.
(1) Notwithstanding the limitation in paragraph (b)(3) of this section, a student who would be a half-time student based solely on his or her correspondence work is considered a half-time student unless the calculation in paragraph (b) of this section produces an enrollment status greater than half-time.
(2) A student who would be a less-than-half-time student based solely on his or her correspondence work or a combination of correspondence work and regular course work is considered a less-than-half-time student.
(d) The following chart provides examples of the rules set forth in this section. It assumes that the institution defines full-time enrollment as 12 credits per term, making the half-time enrollment equal to 6 credits per term.
||No. of credit hours regular work||No. of credit hours correspondence||Total course load in credit hours to determine enrollment status||Enrollment status|
|(b)(3) and (c)||2||6||6||Half-time.|
1 Any combination of regular and correspondence work that is greater than 0, but less than 6 hours.
Title 34 published on 06-Jun-2018 04:02
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 34 CFR Part 690 after this date.