40 CFR 51.1100 - Definitions.
The following definitions apply for purposes of this subpart. Any term not defined herein shall have the meaning as defined in 40 CFR 51.100.
(d)1-hour ozone design value is the 1-hour ozone concentration calculated according to 40 CFR part 50, appendix H and the interpretation methodology issued by the Administrator most recently before the date of the enactment of the CAA Amendments of 1990.
(e)8-hour ozone design value is the 8-hour ozone concentration calculated according to 40 CFR part 50, appendix P.
(g)Attainment area means, unless otherwise indicated, an area designated as either attainment, unclassifiable, or attainment/unclassifiable.
(i)Designation for the 2008 NAAQS shall mean the effective date of the designation for an area for the 2008 NAAQS.
(j)Higher classification/lower classification. For purposes of determining whether a classification is higher or lower, classifications under subpart 2 of part D of title I of the CAA are ranked from lowest to highest as follows: Marginal; Moderate; Serious; Severe; and Extreme.
(l)Maintenance area means an area that was designated nonattainment for a specific NAAQS and was redesignated to attainment for that NAAQS subject to a maintenance plan as required by CAA section 175A.
(m)Nitrogen Oxides (NOX) means the sum of nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide in the flue gas or emission point, collectively expressed as nitrogen dioxide.
(o)Applicable requirements for an area for anti-backsliding purposes means the following requirements, to the extent such requirements apply to the area pursuant to its classification under CAA section 181(a)(1) for the 1-hour NAAQS or 40 CFR 51.902 for the 1997 ozone NAAQS at the time of revocation of the 1997 ozone NAAQS:
(2) Vehicle inspection and maintenance programs (I/M) under CAA sections 182(b)(4) and 182(c)(3).
(4) Reductions to achieve Reasonable Further Progress (RFP) under CAA sections172(c)(2), 182(b)(1)(A), and 182(c)(2)(B).
(5) Clean fuels fleet program under CAA section183(c)(4).
(8) Enhanced (ambient) monitoring under CAA section 182(c)(1).
(10) Vehicle miles traveled provisions of CAA section 182(d)(1).
(11) NOX requirements under CAA section 182(f).
(13) Nonattainment contingency measures required under CAA sections 172(c)(9) and 182(c)(9) for failure to attain the 1-hour or 1997 ozone NAAQS by the applicable attainment date or to make reasonable further progress toward attainment of the 1-hour or 1997 ozone NAAQS.
(15) Penalty fee program requirements for Severe and Extreme Areas under CAA section 185.
(16) Contingency measures associated with areas utilizing CAA section 182(e)(5).
(t)Reasonable further progress (RFP) means both the emissions reductions required under CAA section 172(c)(2) which EPA interprets to be an average 3 percent per year emissions reductions of either VOC or NOX and CAA sections 182(c)(2)(B) and (c)(2)(C) and the 15 percent reductions over the first six years of the plan and the following three percent per year average under § 51.1110.
(x)Subpart 1 means subpart 1 of part D of title I of the CAA.
(y)Subpart 2 means subpart 2 of part D of title I of the CAA.
(aa) An area “Designated nonattainment for the 1-hour ozone NAAQS” means, for purposes of 40 CFR 51.1105, an area that is subject to applicable 1-hour ozone NAAQS anti-backsliding requirements at the time of revocation of the 1997 ozone NAAQS.
(bb)Base year inventory for the nonattainment area means a comprehensive, accurate, current inventory of actual emissions from sources of VOC and NOX emitted within the boundaries of the nonattainment area as required by CAA section 182(a)(1).
(cc)Ozone season day emissions means an average day's emissions for a typical ozone season work weekday. The state shall select, subject to EPA approval, the particular month(s) in the ozone season and the day(s) in the work week to be represented, considering the conditions assumed in the development of RFP plans and/or emissions budgets for transportation conformity.
Title 40 published on 2015-08-22
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 51 after this date.