40 CFR § 60.5398a - What are the alternative means of emission limitations for VOC from well completions, reciprocating compressors, the collection of fugitive emissions components at a well site and the collection of fugitive emissions components at a compressor station?
(a) If, in the Administrator's judgment, an alternative means of emission limitation will achieve a reduction in VOC emissions at least equivalent to the reduction in VOC emissions achieved under §§ 60.5375a, 60.5385a, and 60.5397a, the Administrator will publish, in the Federal Register, a notice permitting the use of that alternative means for the purpose of compliance with §§ 60.5375a, 60.5385a, and 60.5397a. The notice may condition permission on requirements related to the operation and maintenance of the alternative means.
(b) Any notice under paragraph (a) of this section must be published only after notice and an opportunity for a public hearing.
(d) Determination of equivalence to the design, equipment, work practice or operational requirements of this section will be evaluated by the following guidelines:
(1) The applicant must collect, verify and submit test data, covering a period of at least 12 months to demonstrate the equivalence of the alternative means of emission limitation. The application must include the following information:
(i) A description of the technology or process.
(ii) The monitoring instrument and measurement technology or process.
(iii) A description of performance based procedures (i.e., method) and data quality indicators for precision and bias; the method detection limit of the technology or process.
(iv) For affected facilities under § 60.5397a, the action criteria and level at which a fugitive emission exists.
(v) Any initial and ongoing quality assurance/quality control measures.
(vi) Timeframes for conducting ongoing quality assurance/quality control.
(vii) Field data verifying viability and detection capabilities of the technology or process.
(viii) Frequency of measurements.
(ix) Minimum data availability.
(x) Any restrictions for using the technology or process.
(xii) Initial and continuous compliance procedures, including recordkeeping and reporting.
(2) For each determination of equivalency requested, the emission reduction achieved by the design, equipment, work practice or operational requirements shall be demonstrated.
(3) For each affected facility for which a determination of equivalency is requested, the emission reduction achieved by the alternative means of emission limitation shall be demonstrated.
(4) Each owner or operator applying for a determination of equivalence to a work practice standard shall commit in writing to work practice(s) that provide for emission reductions equal to or greater than the emission reductions achieved by the required work practice.
(e) After notice and opportunity for public hearing, the Administrator will determine the equivalence of a means of emission limitation and will publish the determination in the Federal Register.
(f) An application submitted under this section will be evaluated as set forth in paragraphs (f)(1) and (2) of this section.
(1) The Administrator will compare the demonstrated emission reduction for the alternative means of emission limitation to the demonstrated emission reduction for the design, equipment, work practice or operational requirements and, if applicable, will consider the commitment in paragraph (d) of this section.
(2) The Administrator may condition the approval of the alternative means of emission limitation on requirements that may be necessary to ensure operation and maintenance to achieve the same emissions reduction as the design, equipment, work practice or operational requirements. (g) Any equivalent means of emission limitations approved under this section shall constitute a required work practice, equipment, design or operational standard within the meaning of section 111(h)(1) of the CAA.