40 CFR 63.2840 - What emission requirements must I meet?
For each facility meeting the applicability criteria in § 63.2832, you must comply with either the requirements specified in paragraphs (a) through (d), or the requirements in paragraph (e) of this section.
(1) The emission requirements limit the number of gallons of HAP lost per ton of listed oilseeds processed. For each operating month, you must calculate a compliance ratio which compares your actual HAP loss to your allowable HAP loss for the previous 12 operating months as shown in Equation 1 of this section. An operating month, as defined in § 63.2872, is any calendar month in which a source processes a listed oilseed, excluding any entire calendar month in which the source operated under an initial startup period subject to § 63.2850(c)(2) or (d)(2) or a malfunction period subject to § 63.2850(e)(2). Equation 1 of this section follows:
(2) Equation 1 of this section can also be expressed as a function of total solvent loss as shown in Equation 2 of this section. Equation 2 of this section follows:
Table 1 of § 63.2840 - Oilseed Solvent Loss Factors for Determining Allowable HAP Loss
|Type of oilseed process||A source that...||Oilseed solvent loss factor (gal/ton)|
|Existing sources||New sources|
|(i) Corn Germ, Wet Milling||processes corn germ that has been separated from other corn components using a “wet” process of centrifuging a slurry steeped in a dilute sulfurous acid solution||0.4||0.3|
|(ii) Corn Germ, Dry Milling||processes corn germ that has been separated from the other corn components using a “dry” process of mechanical chafing and air sifting||0.7||0.7|
|(iii) Cottonseed, Large||processes 120,000 tons or more of a combination of cottonseed and other listed oilseeds during all normal operating periods in a 12 operating month period||0.5||0.4|
|(iv) Cottonseed, Small||processes less than 120,000 tons of a combination of cottonseed and other listed oilseeds during all normal operating periods in a 12 operating month period||0.7||0.4|
|(v) Flax||processes flax||0.6||0.6|
|(vi) Peanuts||processes peanuts||1.2||0.7|
|(vii) Rapeseed||processes rapeseed||0.7||0.3|
|(viii) Safflower||processes safflower||0.7||0.7|
|(ix) Soybean, Conventional||uses a conventional style desolventizer to produce crude soybean oil products and soybean animal feed products||0.2||0.2|
|(x) Soybean, Specialty||uses a special style desolventizer to produce soybean meal products for human and animal consumption||1.7||1.5|
|(xi) Soybean, Combination Plant with Low Specialty Production||processes soybeans in both specialty and conventional desolventizers and the quantity of soybeans processed in specialty desolventizers during normal operating periods is less than 3.3 percent of total soybeans processed during all normal operating periods in a 12 operating month period. The corresponding solvent loss factor is an overall value and applies to the total quantity of soybeans processed.||0.25||0.25|
|(xii) Sunflower||processes sunflower||0.4||0.3|
(b) When your source has processed listed oilseed for 12 operating months, calculate the compliance ratio by the end of each calendar month following an operating month using Equation 2 of this section. When calculating your compliance ratio, consider the conditions and exclusions in paragraphs (b)(1) through (6) of this section:
(1) If your source processes any quantity of listed oilseeds in a calendar month and the source is not operating under an initial startup period or malfunction period subject to § 63.2850, then you must categorize the month as an operating month, as defined in § 63.2872.
(3) If your source shuts down and processes no listed oilseed for an entire calendar month, then you must categorize the month as a nonoperating month, as defined in § 63.2872. Exclude any nonoperating months from the compliance ratio determination.
(4) If your source is subject to an initial startup period as defined in § 63.2872, exclude from the compliance ratio determination any solvent and oilseed information recorded for the initial startup period.
(6) For sources processing cottonseed or specialty soybean, the solvent loss factor you use to determine the compliance ratio may change each operating month depending on the tons of oilseed processed during all normal operating periods in a 12 operating month period.
(d) To determine the compliance ratio in Equation 2 of this section, you must select the appropriate oilseed solvent loss factor from Table 1 of this section. First, determine whether your source is new or existing using Table 1 of § 63.2833. Then, under the appropriate existing or new source column, select the oilseed solvent loss factor that corresponds to each type oilseed or process operation for each operating month.
(e)Low-HAP solvent option. For all vegetable oil production processes subject to this subpart, you must exclusively use solvent where the volume fraction of each HAP comprises 1 percent or less by volume of the solvent (low-HAP solvent) in each delivery, and you must meet the requirements in paragraphs (e)(1) through (5) of this section. Your vegetable oil production process is not subject to the requirements in §§ 63.2850 through 63.2870 unless specifically referenced in paragraphs (e)(1) through (5) of this section.
(5) You must submit an annual compliance certification in accordance with § 63.2861(a). The certification should only include the information required under § 63.2861(a)(1) and (2), and a certification indicating whether the source complied with all of the requirements in paragraph (e) of this section.
(f) You may change compliance options for your source if you submit a notice to the Administrator at least 60 days prior to changing compliance options. If your source changes from the low-HAP solvent option to the compliance ratio determination option, you must determine the compliance ratio for the most recent 12 operating months beginning with the first month after changing compliance options.
Title 40 published on 2015-08-22
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 63 after this date.
- 40 CFR 63.2872 — What Definitions Apply to This Subpart?
- 40 CFR 63.2840 — What Emission Requirements Must I Meet?
- 40 CFR 63.2850 — How Do I Comply With the Hazardous Air Pollutant Emission Standards?
- 40 CFR 63.2861 — What Reports Must I Submit and When?
- 40 CFR 63.2854 — How Do I Determine the Weighted Average Volume Fraction of HAP in the Actual Solvent Loss?
- 40 CFR 63.2862 — What Records Must I Keep?
- 40 CFR 63.2832 — Am I Subject to This Subpart?
- 40 CFR 63.2855 — How Do I Determine the Quantity of Oilseed Processed?
- 40 CFR 63.2853 — How Do I Determine the Actual Solvent Loss?