40 CFR 63.440 - Applicability.
(a) The provisions of this subpart apply to the owner or operator of processes that produce pulp, paper, or paperboard; that are located at a plant site that is a major source as defined in § 63.2 of subpart A of this part; and that use the following processes and materials:
(1) Kraft, soda, sulfite, or semi-chemical pulping processes using wood; or
(2) Mechanical pulping processes using wood; or
(3) Any process using secondary or non-wood fibers.
(1) Each kraft pulping system shall achieve compliance with the pulping system provisions of § 63.443 for the equipment listed in § 63.443(a)(1)(ii) through (a)(1)(v) as expeditiously as practicable, but in no event later than April 17, 2006 and the owners and operators shall establish dates, update dates, and report the dates for the milestones specified in § 63.455(b).
(2) Each dissolving-grade bleaching system at either kraft or sulfite pulping mills shall achieve compliance with the bleach plant provisions of § 63.445 of this subpart as expeditiously as practicable, but in no event later than 3 years after the promulgation of the revised effluent limitation guidelines and standards under 40 CFR 430.14 through 430.17 and 40 CFR 430.44 through 430.47.
(3) Each bleaching system complying with the Voluntary Advanced Technology Incentives Program for Effluent Limitation Guidelines in 40 CFR 430.24, shall comply with the requirements specified in either paragraph (d)(3)(i) or (d)(3)(ii) of this section for the effluent limitation guidelines and standards in 40 CFR 430.24.
(i) Comply with the bleach plant provisions of § 63.445 of this subpart as expeditiously as practicable, but in no event later than April 16, 2001.
(ii) Comply with paragraphs (d)(3)(ii)(A), (d)(3)(ii)(B), and (d)(3)(ii)(C) of this section.
(1) Not increase the application rate of chlorine or hypochlorite in kilograms (kg) of bleaching agent per megagram of ODP, in the bleaching system above the average daily rates used over the three months prior to June 15, 1998 until the requirements of paragraph (d)(3)(ii)(A) of this section are met and record application rates as specified in § 63.454(c).
(2) Comply with enforceable effluent limitations guidelines for 2,3,7,8-tetrachloro-dibenzo-p-dioxin and adsorbable organic halides at least as stringent as the baseline BAT levels set out in 40 CFR 430.24(a)(1) as expeditiously as possible, but in no event later than April 16, 2001.
(e) Each new source, specified as the total of all HAP emission points for the sources specified in paragraph (c) of this section, shall achieve compliance upon start-up or June 15, 1998, whichever is later, as provided in § 63.6(b) of subpart A of this part.
(f) Each owner or operator of an affected source with affected process equipment shared by more than one type of pulping process, shall comply with the applicable requirement in this subpart that achieves the maximum degree of reduction in HAP emissions.
(g) Each owner or operator of an affected source specified in paragraphs (a) through (c) of this section must comply with the requirements of subpart A - General Provisions of this part, as indicated in table 1 to this subpart.
Title 40 published on 2015-08-22
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 63 after this date.