40 CFR 63.646 - Storage vessel provisions.
(a) Each owner or operator of a Group 1 storage vessel subject to this subpart shall comply with the requirements of §§ 63.119 through 63.121 except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (l) of this section.
(b) As used in this section, all terms not defined in § 63.641 shall have the meaning given them in 40 CFR part 63, subparts A or G. The Group 1 storage vessel definition presented in § 63.641 shall apply in lieu of the Group 1 storage vessel definitions presented in tables 5 and 6 of § 63.119 of subpart G of this part.
(1) An owner or operator may use good engineering judgment or test results to determine the stored liquid weight percent total organic HAP for purposes of group determination. Data, assumptions, and procedures used in the determination shall be documented.
(2) When an owner or operator and the Administrator do not agree on whether the annual average weight percent organic HAP in the stored liquid is above or below 4 percent for a storage vessel at an existing source or above or below 2 percent for a storage vessel at a new source, an appropriate method (based on the type of liquid stored) as published by EPA or a consensus-based standards organization shall be used. Consensus-based standards organizations include, but are not limited to, the following: ASTM International (100 Barr Harbor Drive, P.O. Box CB700, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania 19428-B2959, (800) 262-1373, http://www.astm.org), the American National Standards Institute (ANSI, 1819 L Street NW., 6th floor, Washington, DC 20036, (202) 293-8020, http://www.ansi.org), the American Gas Association (AGA, 400 North Capitol Street NW., 4th Floor, Washington, DC 20001, (202) 824-7000, http://www.aga.org), the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME, Three Park Avenue, New York, NY 10016-5990, (800) 843-2763, http://www.asme.org), the American Petroleum Institute (API, 1220 L Street NW., Washington, DC 20005-4070, (202) 682-8000, http://www.api.org), and the North American Energy Standards Board (NAESB, 801 Travis Street, Suite 1675, Houston, TX 77002, (713) 356-0060, http://www.naesb.org).
(d) References shall apply as specified in paragraphs (d)(1) through (d)(10) of this section.
(2) All references to April 22, 1994 shall be replaced with August 18, 1995.
(3) All references to December 31, 1992 shall be replaced with July 15, 1994.
(e) When complying with the inspection requirements of § 63.120 of subpart G of this part, owners and operators of storage vessels at existing sources subject to this subpart are not required to comply with the provisions for gaskets, slotted membranes, and sleeve seals.
(3) Automatic bleeder vents are to be closed at all times when the roof is floating except when the roof is being floated off or is being landed on the roof leg supports.
(g) Failure to perform inspections and monitoring required by this section shall constitute a violation of the applicable standard of this subpart.
(l) The State or local permitting authority can waive the notification requirements of §§ 63.120(a)(5), 63.120(a)(6), 63.120(b)(10)(ii), and 63.120(b)(10)(iii) for all or some storage vessels at petroleum refineries subject to this subpart. The State or local permitting authority may also grant permission to refill storage vessels sooner than 30 days after submitting the notifications in § 63.120(a)(6) or § 63.120(b)(10)(iii) for all storage vessels at a refinery or for individual storage vessels on a case-by-case basis.