40 CFR 98.363 - Calculating GHG emissions.
(a) For all manure management system components listed in 98.360(b) except digesters, estimate the annual CH4 emissions and sum for all the components to obtain total emissions from the manure management system for all animal types using Equation JJ-1.
(1) Average annual animal populations for static populations (e.g., dairy cows, breeding swine, layers) must be estimated by performing an animal inventory or review of facility records once each reporting year.
(2) Average annual animal populations for growing populations (meat animals such as beef and veal cattle, market swine, broilers, and turkeys) must be estimated each year using the average number of days each animal is kept at the facility and the number of animals produced annually, and an equation similar or equal to Equation JJ-4 below, adapted from Equation 10.1 in 2006 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories, Volume 4, Chapter 10.
(1) For each digester, calculate the annual CH4 flow to the combustion device (CH4C) using Equation JJ-6 of this section. A fully integrated system that directly reports the quantity of CH4 flow to the digester combustion device requires only summing the results of all monitoring periods for a given year to obtain CH4C.
(2) For each digester, calculate the average annual volumetric flow rate, CH4 concentration of digester gas, temperature, and pressure at which flow are measured using Equations JJ-7 through JJ-10 of this section.
(3) For each digester, calculate the CH4 destruction at the digester combustion device using Equation JJ-11 of this section.
(4) For each digester, calculate the CH4 leakage using Equation JJ-12 of this section.
(c) For each MMS component, estimate the annual N2O emissions and sum for all MMS components to obtain total emissions from the manure management system for all animal types using Equation JJ-13 of this section.