42 CFR § 400.200 - General definitions.
In this chapter, unless the context indicates otherwise -
ALJ stands for administrative law judge.
Area means the geographical area within the boundaries of a State, or a State or other jurisdiction, designated as constituting an area with respect to which a Professional Standards Review Organization or a Utilization and Quality Control Peer Review Organization has been or may be designated.
CMP stands for competitive medical plan.
Conditions of participation includes requirements for participation as the latter term is used in part 483 of this chapter.
Condition level deficiencies includes deficiencies with respect to “level A requirements” as the latter term is used in parts 442 and 483 of this chapter.
CORF stands for comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation facility.
CFR stands for Code of Federal Regulations.
CY stands for calendar year.
DAB stands for Departmental Appeals Board.
Department means the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), formerly the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.
ESRD stands for end-stage renal disease.
FDA stands for the Food and Drug Administration.
FQHC means Federally qualified health center.
FR stands for Federal Register.
FY stands for fiscal year.
HCPP stands for health care prepayment plan.
HHS stands for the Department of Health and Human Services.
HHA stands for home health agency.
HMO stands for health maintenance organization.
ICF stands for intermediate care facility.
ICF/IID stands for intermediate care facility for individuals with intellectual disabilities.
Medicare means the health insurance program for the aged and disabled under title XVIII of the Act.
NCD stands for national coverage determination.
OASDI stands for the Old Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance program under title II of the Act.
OIG stands for the Department's Office of the Inspector General.
QDWI stands for Qualified Disabled and Working Individual.
QIO stands for quality improvement organization.
QMB stands for Qualified MedicareBeneficiary.
Qualified Disabled and Working Individual means an individual who -
(1) Is eligible to enroll for Medicare Part A under section 1818A of the Act.
(2) Has income, as determined in accordance with SSI methodologies, that does not exceed 200 percent of the Federal poverty guidelines (as defined and revised annually by the Office of Management and Budget) for a family of the size of the individual's family;
(3) Has resources, as determined in accordance with SSI methodologies, that do not exceed twice the relevant maximum amount established, for SSI eligibility, for an individual or for an individual and his or her spouse; and
(4) Is not otherwise eligible for Medicaid.
Qualified Medicare Beneficiary means an individual who -
(2) Has resources, as determined in accordance with SSI methodologies, that do not exceed twice the maximum amount established for SSI eligibility; and
(3) Has income, as determined in accordance with SSI methodologies, that does not exceed 100 percent of the Federal poverty guidelines.
Quality improvement organization means an organization that has a contract with CMS, under part B of title XI of the Act, to perform utilization and quality control review of the health care furnished, or to be furnished, to Medicare beneficiaries.
RHC stands for rural health clinic.
RRB stands for Railroad Retirement Board.
SNF stands for skilled nursing facility.
Social security benefits means monthly cash benefits payable under section 202 or 223 of the Act.
SSA stands for Social Security Administration.
United States means the fifty States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands.
U.S.C. stands for United States Code.