42 CFR § 438.340 - Managed care State quality strategy.
(a) General rule. Each State contracting with an MCO, PIHP, or PAHP as defined in § 438.2 or with a PCCM entity as described in § 438.310(c)(2) must draft and implement a written quality strategy for assessing and improving the quality of health care and services furnished by the MCO, PIHP, PAHP or PCCM entity.
(1) The State-defined network adequacy and availability of services standards for MCOs, PIHPs, and PAHPs required by §§ 438.68 and 438.206 and examples of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines the State requires in accordance with § 438.236.
(2) The State's goals and objectives for continuous quality improvement which must be measurable and take into consideration the health status of all populations in the State served by the MCO, PIHP, PAHP, and PCCM entity described in § 438.310(c)(2).
(3) A description of -
(i) The quality metrics and performance targets to be used in measuring the performance and improvement of each MCO, PIHP, PAHP, and PCCM entity described in § 438.310(c)(2) with which the State contracts, including but not limited to, the performance measures reported in accordance with § 438.330(c). The State must identify which quality measures and performance outcomes the State will publish at least annually on the website required under § 438.10(c)(3); and,
(ii) The performance improvement projects to be implemented in accordance with § 438.330(d), including a description of any interventions the State proposes to improve access, quality, or timeliness of care for beneficiaries enrolled in an MCO, PIHP, or PAHP.
(4) Arrangements for annual, external independent reviews, in accordance with § 438.350, of the quality outcomes and timeliness of, and access to, the services covered under each MCO, PIHP, PAHP, and PCCM entity (described in § 438.310(c)(2)) contract.
(6) The State's plan to identify, evaluate, and reduce, to the extent practicable, health disparities based on age, race, ethnicity, sex, primary language, and disability status. For purposes of this paragraph (b)(6), “disability status” means, at a minimum, whether the individual qualified for Medicaid on the basis of a disability. States must include in this plan the State's definition of disability status and how the State will make the determination that a Medicaid enrollee meets the standard including the data source(s) that the State will use to identify disability status.
(8) The mechanisms implemented by the State to comply with § 438.208(c)(1) (relating to the identification of persons who need long-term services and supports or persons with special health care needs).
(1) Make the strategy available for public comment before submitting the strategy to CMS for review, including:
(i) Obtaining input from the Medical Care Advisory Committee (established by § 431.12 of this chapter), beneficiaries, and other stakeholders.
(2) Review and update the quality strategy as needed, but no less than once every 3 years.
(i) This review must include an evaluation of the effectiveness of the quality strategy conducted within the previous 3 years.
(3) Submit to CMS the following:
(i) A copy of the initial strategy for CMS comment and feedback prior to adopting it in final.
(ii) A copy of the revised strategy whenever significant changes, as defined in the state's quality strategy per paragraph (b)(11) of this section, are made to the document, or whenever significant changes occur within the State's Medicaid program.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.