45 CFR § 260.31 - What does the term “assistance” mean?
(1) The term “assistance” includes cash, payments, vouchers, and other forms of benefits designed to meet a family's ongoing basic needs (i.e., for food, clothing, shelter, utilities, household goods, personal care items, and general incidental expenses).
(2) It includes such benefits even when they are:
(ii) Conditioned on participation in work experience or community service (or any other work activity under § 261.30 of this chapter).
(3) Except where excluded under paragraph (b) of this section, it also includes supportive services such as transportation and child care provided to families who are not employed.
(b) It excludes:
(1) Nonrecurrent, short-term benefits that:
(i) Are designed to deal with a specific crisis situation or episode of need;
(ii) Are not intended to meet recurrent or ongoing needs; and
(iii) Will not extend beyond four months.
(2) Work subsidies (i.e., payments to employers or third parties to help cover the costs of employee wages, benefits, supervision, and training);
(3) Supportive services such as child care and transportation provided to families who are employed;
(4) Refundable earned income tax credits;
(5) Contributions to, and distributions from, Individual Development Accounts;
(6) Services such as counseling, case management, peer support, child care information and referral, transitional services, job retention, job advancement, and other employment-related services that do not provide basic income support; and
(c) The definition of the term assistance specified in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section:
(1) Does not apply to the use of the term assistance at part 263, subpart A, or at part 264, subpart B, of this chapter; and
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
- Ohio Admin. Code 5101:14-1-01 - 5101:14-1-01 - Comprehensive case management and employment program: definitions.
- Ohio Admin. Code 5101:14-1-02 - 5101:14-1-02 - Comprehensive case management employment program: general.
- Ohio Admin. Code 5101:9-6-08.6 - 5101:9-6-08.6 - Temporary assistance to needy families (TANF) independent living (IL) allocation.
- TN Rules and Regs. 1240-01-49-.04 - 1240-01-49-.04 - FAILURE TO COMPLY, CONCILIATION, GOOD CAUSE, AND SANCTIONS