46 CFR 11.305 - Requirements to qualify for an STCW endorsement as master of vessels of 3,000 GT or more (management level).
(1) Provide evidence of 36 months of service as OICNW on vessels operating in oceans, near-coastal waters, and/or Great Lakes. This period may be reduced to not less than 24 months if the applicant served as chief mate for not less than 12 months. Service on inland waters that are navigable waters of the United States may be substituted for up to 50 percent of the total required service. Experience gained in the engine department on vessels may be creditable for up to 3 months of the service requirements;
(3) Provide evidence of having satisfactorily completed approved training in the following subject areas:
(i) Advanced shiphandling.
(ii) Advanced stability.
(iii) Advanced meteorology.
(iv) Leadership and managerial skills.
(v) Search and rescue.
(vi) ARPA, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(vii) ECDIS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(viii) GMDSS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(ix) Management of medical care.
(b) For a renewal of an STCW endorsement as master of vessels of 3,000 GT or more to be valid on or after January 1, 2017, each candidate must provide evidence of successful completion of approved training in the following:
(1) Leadership and managerial skills.
(2) ECDIS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(c) The Coast Guard may exempt an applicant from meeting any individual knowledge, understanding, and proficiency required in Section A-II/2 of the STCW Code. These exemptions must be approved by the Coast Guard based upon vessel type. Under these circumstances, the credential may include a corresponding limitation.
(d) Seafarers holding an STCW endorsement as masters of vessels of 500 GT or more and less than 3,000 GT, in accordance with § 11.311 of this subpart, are eligible to apply for the endorsement as master on vessels of 3,000 GT or more upon completion of 6 months of sea service, under the authority of the endorsement, and must complete any items in paragraphs (a)(2) and (a)(3) of this section not previously satisfied.
Table 1 to § 11.305(e) - STCW Endorsement as Master of Vessels of 3,000 GT or More
|Entry path from national endorsements||Sea service under
the endorsement 1
|Competence - STCW Table A-II/2 2||Training required by this
|Master ocean or near-coastal, unlimited tonnage||None||Yes||Yes.|
Title 46 published on 09-May-2017 04:27
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 46 CFR Part 11 after this date.
- 46 CFR 10.239 — Quick Reference Table for MMC Requirements.
- 46 CFR 11.305 — Requirements to Qualify for an STCW Endorsement as Master of Vessels of 3,000 GT or More (Management Level).
- 46 CFR 11.404 — Service Requirements for Master of Ocean or Near-Coastal Self-Propelled Vessels of Unlimited Tonnage.
- 46 CFR 11.493 — Master (OSV).