46 CFR 11.307 - Requirements to qualify for an STCW endorsement as chief mate of vessels of 3,000 GT or more (management level).
(1) Provide evidence of 12 months of service as OICNW on vessels operating in oceans, near-coastal waters, and/or Great Lakes. Service on inland waters, bays, or sounds that are navigable waters of the United States may be substituted for up to 50 percent of the total required service. Experience gained in the engine department on vessels may be creditable for up to 1 month of the service requirements;
(3) Provide evidence of having satisfactorily completed approved training in the following subject areas:
(i) Advanced shiphandling.
(ii) Advanced stability.
(iii) Advanced meteorology.
(iv) Leadership and managerial skills.
(v) Search and rescue.
(vi) ARPA, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(vii) ECDIS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(viii) GMDSS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(ix) Management of medical care.
(b) For a renewal of an STCW endorsement as chief mate of vessels of 3,000 GT or more to be valid on or after January 1, 2017, each candidate must provide evidence of successful completion of approved training in the following:
(1) Leadership and managerial skills.
(2) ECDIS, if serving on a vessel with this equipment.
(c) The Coast Guard may exempt an applicant from meeting any individual knowledge, understanding, and proficiency required in Section A-II/2 of the STCW Code. These exemptions must be approved by the Coast Guard based upon vessel type. Under these circumstances, the credential may include a corresponding limitation.
(d) Seafarers holding an STCW endorsement as chief mate of vessels of 500 GT or more and less than 3,000 GT, in accordance with § 11.313 of this subpart, are eligible to apply for the endorsement as chief mate on vessels of 3,000 GT or more upon completion of 6 months of sea service, under the authority of the endorsement, and must complete any items in paragraphs (a)(2) and (a)(3) of this section not previously satisfied.
Table 1 to § 11.307(e) - STCW Endorsement as Chief Mate of Vessels of 3,000 GT or More
|Entry path from national endorsements||Sea service under authority of the endorsement 1||Competence - STCW Table A-II/2 2||Training required by this
|Chief mate ocean or near-coastal, unlimited tonnage||None||Yes||Yes.|
|Master ocean or near-coastal, less than 500 GRT||12 months||Yes||Yes.|
|Chief mate OSV||None||Yes||Yes.|
|Master towing vessel ocean or near-coastal||12 months||Yes||Yes.|
- 46 CFR 11.307 — Requirements to Qualify for an STCW Endorsement as Chief Mate of Vessels of 3,000 GT or More (Management Level).
- 46 CFR 11.405 — Service Requirements for Chief Mate of Ocean or Near-Coastal Self-Propelled Vessels of Unlimited Tonnage.
- 46 CFR 11.464 — Requirements for National Endorsements as Master of Towing Vessels.
- 46 CFR 11.418 — Service Requirements for Master of Ocean or Near-Coastal Self-Propelled Vessels of Less Than 500 GRT.
- 46 CFR 11.495 — Chief Mate (OSV).