47 CFR 1.47 - Service of documents and proof of service.
(a) Where the Commission or any person is required by statute or by the provisions of this chapter to serve any document upon any person, service shall (in the absence of specific provisions in this chapter to the contrary) be made in accordance with the provisions of this section. Documents that are required to be served by the Commission in agency proceedings (i.e., not in the context of judicial proceedings, Congressional investigations, or other proceedings outside the Commission) may be served in electronic form. In proceedings involving a large number of parties, and unless otherwise provided by statute, the Commission may satisfy its service obligation by issuing a public notice that identifies the documents required to be served and that explains how parties can obtain copies of the documents.
Section 1.47(a) grants staff the authority to decide upon the appropriate format for electronic notification in a particular proceeding, consistent with any applicable statutory requirements. The Commission expects that service by public notice will be used only in proceedings with 20 or more parties.
(b) Where any person is required to serve any document filed with the Commission, service shall be made by that person or by his representative on or before the day on which the document is filed.
(c) Commission counsel who formally participate in any proceeding shall be served in the same manner as other persons who participate in that proceeding. The filing of a document with the Commission does not constitute service upon Commission counsel.
(d) Except in formal complaint proceedings against common carriers under §§ 1.720 through 1.736, documents may be served upon a party, his attorney, or other duly constituted agent by delivering a copy or by mailing a copy to the last known address. See § 1.736. Documents that are required to be served must be served in paper form, even if documents are filed in electronic form with the Commission, unless the party to be served agrees to accept service in some other form.
(e) Delivery of a copy pursuant to this section means handing it to the party, his attorney, or other duly constituted agent; or leaving it with the clerk or other person in charge of the office of the person being served; or, if there is no one in charge of such office, leaving it in a conspicuous place therein; or, if such office is closed or the person to be served has no office, leaving it at his dwelling house or usual place of abode with some person of suitable age and discretion then residing therein.
(f) Service by mail is complete upon mailing.
(g) Proof of service, as provided in this section, shall be filed before action is taken. The proof of service shall show the time and manner of service, and may be by written acknowledgement of service, by certificate of the person effecting the service, or by other proof satisfactory to the Commission. Failure to make proof of service will not affect the validity of the service. The Commission may allow the proof to be amended or supplied at any time, unless to do so would result in material prejudice to a party.
(h) Every common carrier and interconnected VoIP provider, as defined in § 54.5 of this chapter, and non-interconnected VoIP provider, as defined in § 64.601(a)(15) of this chapter and with interstate end-user revenues that are subject to contribution to the Telecommunications Relay Service Fund, that is subject to the
- 47 CFR 20.18 — 911 Service.
- 47 CFR 17.4 — Antenna Structure Registration.
- 47 CFR 17.8 — Establishment of Antenna Farm Areas.
- 47 CFR 79.4 — Closed Captioning of Video Programming Delivered Using Internet Protocol.
- 47 CFR 79.1 — Closed Captioning of Televised Video Programming.
- 47 CFR 54.721 — General Filing Requirements.
- 47 CFR 64.604 — Mandatory Minimum Standards.
- 47 CFR 1.65 — Substantial and Significant Changes in Information Furnished by Applicants to the Commission.
- 47 CFR 25.158 — Consideration of Applications for GSO-like Satellite Operation.
- 47 CFR 1.47 — Service of Documents and Proof of Service.
- 47 CFR 1.4 — Computation of Time.
- 47 CFR 1.939 — Petitions to Deny.
- 47 CFR 1.731 — Confidentiality of Information Produced or Exchanged.
- 47 CFR 25.157 — Consideration of Applications for NGSO-like Satellite Operation.
- 47 CFR 1.211 — Service.
- 47 CFR 1.429 — Petition for Reconsideration of Final Orders in Rulemaking Proceedings.
- 47 CFR 1.405 — Responses to Petitions; Replies.
- 47 CFR 1.302 — Appeal From Presiding Officer's Final Ruling; Effective Date of Ruling.
- 47 CFR 1.734 — Fee Remittance; Electronic Filing; Copies; Service; Separate Filings Against Multiple Defendants.
- 47 CFR 1.301 — Appeal From Presiding Officer's Interlocutory Ruling; Effective Date of Ruling.