47 CFR 2.909 - Responsible party.
(a) In the case of equipment that requires the issuance of a grant of certification, the party to whom that grant of certification is issued is responsible for the compliance of the equipment with the applicable standards. If the radio frequency equipment is modified by any party other than the grantee and that party is not working under the authorization of the grantee pursuant to § 2.929(b), the party performing the modification is responsible for compliance of the product with the applicable administrative and technical provisions in this chapter.
(b) For equipment subject to Supplier's Declaration of Conformity the party responsible for the compliance of the equipment with the applicable standards, who must be located in the United States (see § 2.1077), is set forth as follows:
(1) The manufacturer or, if the equipment is assembled from individual component parts and the resulting system is subject to authorization under Supplier's Declaration of Conformity, the assembler.
(2) If the equipment by itself, or, a system is assembled from individual parts and the resulting system is subject to Supplier's Declaration of Conformity and that equipment or system is imported, the importer.
(3) Retailers or original equipment manufacturers may enter into an agreement with the responsible party designated in paragraph (b)(1) or (b)(2) of this section to assume the responsibilities to ensure compliance of equipment and become the new responsible party.
(4) If the radio frequency equipment is modified by any party not working under the authority of the responsible party, the party performing the modifications, if located within the U.S., or the importer, if the equipment is imported subsequent to the modifications, becomes the new responsible party.
(c) If the end product or equipment is subject to both certification and Supplier's Declaration of Conformity (i.e., composite system), all the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section apply.
(d) If, because of modifications performed subsequent to authorization, a new party becomes responsible for ensuring that a product complies with the technical standards and the new party does not obtain a new equipment authorization, the equipment shall be labeled, following the specifications in § 2.925(d), with the following: “This product has been modified by [insert name, address and telephone number or internet contact information of the party performing the modifications].”
(e) In the case of transfer of control of equipment, as in the case of sale or merger of the responsible party, the new entity shall bear the responsibility of continued compliance of the equipment.
- 47 CFR 15.102 — CPU Boards and Power Supplies Used in Personal Computers.
- 47 CFR 15.27 — Special Accessories.
- 47 CFR 15.507 — Marketing of UWB Equipment.
- 47 CFR 15.117 — TV Broadcast Receivers.
- 47 CFR 15.609 — Marketing of Access BPL Equipment.
- 47 CFR 15.255 — Operation Within the Band 57-71 GHz.
- 47 CFR 2.1077 — Compliance Information.
- 47 CFR 2.938 — Retention of Records.
- 47 CFR 2.906 — Supplier's Declaration of Conformity.
- 47 CFR 2.1072 — Limitation on Supplier's Declaration of Conformity.