49 CFR 107.105 - Application for special permit.
(a)General. Each application for a special permit or modification of a special permit and all supporting documents must be written in English and submitted for timely consideration at least 120 days before the requested effective date and conform to the following requirements:
(1) The application, including a table of contents, must:
(i) Be submitted to the Associate Administrator for Hazardous Materials Safety (Attention: General Approvals and Permits, PHH-31), Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation, East Building, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590-0001;
(ii) Be submitted with any attached supporting documentation by facsimile (fax) to: (202) 366-3753 or (202) 366-3308;
(iii) Be submitted electronically by e-mail to: email@example.com; or
(iv) Be submitted using PHMSA's online system (table of contents omitted) at: http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/regs/sp-a.
(2) The application must state the name, mailing address, physical address(es) of all known locations where the special permit would be used, e-mail address (if available), and telephone number of the applicant. If the applicant is not an individual, the application must state the company name, mailing address, physical address(es) of all known locations where the special permit would be used, e-mail address (if available), and telephone number of an individual designated as the point of contact for the applicant for all purposes related to the application, the name of the company Chief Executive Officer (CEO) or president, or ranking officer; and the Dun and Bradstreet Data Universal Numbering System (D-U-N-S) identifier.
(3) If the applicant is not a resident of the United States, in addition to the information listed in paragraph (a)(2) of this section, the application must identify and designate an agent that is a permanent resident of the United States for service in accordance with § 105.40 of this part.
(4) For a manufacturing special permit, in addition to the information listed in paragraph (a)(2) of this section, the application must state the name and street address of each of the facilities of the applicant where manufacturing under the special permit will occur, and the symbol of the packaging manufacturer (“M” number), if applicable.
(5) For persons required to be registered in accordance with Subpart F or G of this part, in addition to the information listed in paragraph (a)(2) of this section, the application must provide the registration number or the name of the company to which the registration number is assigned if different from the applicant. For persons not required to be registered in accordance with Subpart F or G of this part, in addition to the information listed in paragraph (a)(2) of this section, the application must provide a statement indicating that registration is not required.
(1) A citation of the specific regulation from which the applicant seeks relief;
(2) The proposed mode or modes of transportation, including a description of all operational controls required;
(3) A detailed description of the proposed special permit (e.g., alternative packaging, test, procedure, activity, or hazard communication, including marking and labeling requirements) including, as appropriate, written descriptions, drawings, flow charts, plans and other supporting documents;
(4) A specification of the proposed duration or schedule of events for which the special permit is sought;
(5) A statement outlining the applicant's basis for seeking relief from compliance with the specified regulations and, if the special permit is requested for a fixed period, a description of how compliance will be achieved at the end of that period. For transportation by air, a statement outlining the reason(s) the hazardous material is being transported by air if other modes are available;
(7) Identification and description, including an estimated quantity of each shipment of the hazardous materials planned for transportation under the special permit or;
(9) For alternative packagings, documentation of quality assurance controls, package design, manufacture, performance test criteria, in-service performance and service-life limitations;
(11) An estimate of the number of packagings expected to be manufactured under the special permit, if applicable;
(12) A statement as to whether the special permit being sought is related to a compliance review, inspection activity, or enforcement action; and
(13) When a Class 1 material is forbidden for transportation by aircraft except under a special permit (see Columns 9A and 9B in the table in 49 CFR 172.101), a certification from an applicant for a special permit to transport such Class 1 material on passenger-carrying or cargo-only aircraft with a maximum certificated takeoff weight of less than 12,500 pounds that no person within the categories listed in 18 U.S.C. 842(i) will participate in the transportation of the Class 1 material.
(d)Justification of special permit proposal. The application must demonstrate that a special permit achieves a level of safety at least equal to that required by regulation, or if a required safety level does not exist, is consistent with the public interest. At a minimum, the application must provide the following:
(2) A statement identifying any increased risk to safety or property that may result if the special permit is granted, and a description of the measures to be taken to address that risk; and
(i) Substantiation, with applicable analyses, data or test results (e.g., failure mode and effect analysis), that the proposed alternative will achieve a level of safety that is at least equal to that required by the regulation from which the special permit is sought; or
(ii) If the regulations do not establish a level of safety, an analysis that identifies each hazard, potential failure mode and the probability of its occurrence, and how the risks associated with each hazard and failure mode are controlled for the duration of an activity or life-cycle of a packaging.
Title 49 published on 09-May-2017 04:41
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 107 after this date.