49 CFR 7.12 - Administration of subpart.
(a) General. Pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 552(a)(2), unless the following records are promptly published and offered for sale or published in the Federal Register, DOT and its components make the following records, and an index to the records, available in a reading room, including an electronic reading room if the records were created by DOT on or after November 1, 1996:
(1) Final opinions, including concurring and dissenting opinions, as well as orders, made in the adjudication of cases;
(2) Statements of policy and interpretations that have been adopted by DOT and are not published in the Federal Register;
(3) Administrative staff manuals and instructions to staff that affect a member of the public; and
(4) Copies of all records, regardless of form or format, that have been released to any person under subpart C of this Part and that, because of the nature of their subject matter, DOT determines have become or are likely to become the subject of subsequent requests for substantially the same records.
(5) A general index of the records listed in paragraph (a)(4) of this section.
(b) Reading room locations. DOT makes its reading room records and indices (in the form of lists or links) available at http://www.dot.gov/foia and at the following physical locations:
(1) DOT Dockets Office, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE., Room W12-140, Washington, DC 20590: hours of operation: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday except Federal holidays; telephone: (202) 366-9322, (202) 366-9826, or (800) 647-5527. DOT provides a computer terminal and printer at this location for accessing electronic reading room records.
(2) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Technical Information Services public record unit: 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE., Room W12-300, Washington, DC 20590; hours of operation: 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday except Federal holidays; telephone (202) 366-2588. NHTSA provides a computer terminal and printer at this location for accessing electronic reading room records.
(3) Other public record units maintained by DOT components (e.g., at regional offices): Information concerning the availability of a computer terminal and printer at such units, and the location and hours of operation of such units, can be obtained through the DOT Dockets Office at (202) 366-9322, (202) 366-9826, or (800) 647-5527.