49 CFR Part 231 - RAILROAD SAFETY APPLIANCE STANDARDS
- § 231.0 Applicability and penalties.
- § 231.1 Box and other house cars built or placed in service before October 1, 1966.
- § 231.2 Hopper cars and high-side gondolas with fixed ends.
- § 231.3 Drop-end high-side gondola cars.
- § 231.4 Fixed-end low-side gondola and low-side hopper cars.
- § 231.5 Drop-end low-side gondola cars.
- § 231.6 Flat cars.
- § 231.7 Tank cars with side platforms.
- § 231.8 Tank cars without side sills and tank cars with short side sills and end platforms.
- § 231.9 Tank cars without end sills.
- § 231.10 Caboose cars with platforms.
- § 231.11 Caboose cars without platforms.
- § 231.12 Passenger-train cars with wide vestibules.
- § 231.13 Passenger-train cars with open-end platforms.
- § 231.14 Passenger-train cars without end platforms.
- § 231.15 Steam locomotives used in road service.
- § 231.16 Steam locomotives used in switching service.
- § 231.17 Specifications common to all steam locomotives.
- § 231.18 Cars of special construction.
- § 231.19 Definition of “Right” and “Left.”
- § 231.20 Variation in size permitted.
- § 231.21 Tank cars without underframes.
- § 231.22 Operation of track motor cars.
- § 231.23 Unidirectional passenger-train cars adaptable to van-type semi-trailer use.
- § 231.24 Box and other house cars with roofs, 16 feet 10 inches or more above top of rail. 1
- § 231.25 Track motorcars (self-propelled 4-wheel cars which can be removed from the rails by men).
- § 231.26 Pushcars.
- § 231.27 Box and other house cars without roof hatches or placed in service after October 1, 1966.
- § 231.28 Box and other house cars with roof hatches built or placed in service after October 1, 1966.
- § 231.29 Road locomotives with corner stairways.
- § 231.30 Locomotives used in switching service.
- § 231.31 Drawbars for freight cars; standard height.
- § 231.33 Procedure for special approval of existing industry safety appliance standards.
- § 231.35 Procedure for modification of an approved industry safety appliance standard for new railcar construction.
- Appendix A to Part 231 - Schedule of Civil Penalties 1
Where rivets or bolts are required in this part 231 a two-piece steel rivet may be used consisting of:
(a) A solid shank of one-half ( 1/2) inch minimum diameter steel or material of equal or greater strength having cold forged head on one end, a shank length for material thickness fastened, locking grooves, breakneck groove and pull grooves (all annular grooves) on the opposite end.
(b) A collar of similar material which is cold swaged into the locking grooves forming a head for the opposite end of item (a) after the pull groove section has been removed.
Title 49 published on 2015-12-03
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 231 after this date.