5 CFR 430.305 - Planning and communicating performance.
(a) Each agency performance management system must incorporate the following system standards:
(1) Use critical elements based on OPM-validated executive competencies to evaluate executive leadership and results, including the quality of the executive's performance;
(2) Align performance requirements with agency mission and strategic planning initiatives;
(3) Define performance standards for each of the summary rating performance levels, which also may be used for the individual elements or performance requirements being appraised;
(4) Appraise each senior executive's performance at least annually against performance requirements based on established performance standards and other measures;
(5) Derive an annual summary rating through a mathematical method that ensures executives' performance aligns with level descriptors contained in performance standards that clearly differentiate levels above fully successful, while prohibiting a forced distribution of rating levels for senior executives;
(6) Establish five summary performance levels as follows:
(i) An outstanding level;
(ii) An exceeds fully successful level;
(iii) A fully successful level;
(iv) A minimally satisfactory level; and
(v) An unsatisfactory level;
(7) Include equivalency statements in the system description for agency-specific terms for the five summary performance levels aligning them with the five performance levels required in § 430.305(a)(6); and
(8) Use performance appraisals as a basis to adjust pay, reward, retain, and develop senior executives or make other personnel decisions, including removals as specified in § 430.312.
(b) An agency may develop its own performance management system for senior executives in accordance with the requirements of this section.
(c) OPM may establish, and refine as needed, a basic performance management system incorporating all requirements of this section, which agencies may adopt, with limited adaptation, for performance management of its senior executives.
Title 5 published on 2015-01-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 5 CFR Part 430 after this date.