50 CFR § 23.24 - What code is used to show the source of the specimen?
§ 23.24 What code is used to show the source of the specimen?
The Management Authority must indicate on the CITES document the source of the specimen using one of the following codes, except the code “O” for pre-Convention, which may be used in conjunction with another code:
|Source of specimen||Code|
(1) An Appendix-II or -III artificially propagated specimen.
(2) An Appendix-I plant specimen artificially propagated for noncommercial purposes or certain Appendix-I hybrids (see § 23.42) propagated for commercial purposes.
(1) An Appendix-II or -III specimen bred in captivity. (See paragraph (d)(1) of this section for wildlife that does not qualify as bred in captivity.)
(2) An Appendix-I specimen bred for noncommercial purposes. (See paragraph (c)(1) of this section for an Appendix-I specimen bred for commercial purposes.)
(1) An Appendix-I wildlife specimen bred in captivity for commercial purposes at an operation registered with the Secretariat.
(2) An Appendix-I plant specimen artificially propagated for commercial purposes at a nursery that is registered with the Secretariat or a commercial propagating operation that meets the requirements of § 23.47.
(1) An Appendix-II or -III wildlife species that is captive-bred.
(2) An Appendix-I wildlife species that is one of the following:
(i) Captive-bred (see § 23.5).
(ii) Bred for commercial purposes, but the commercial breeding operation is not registered with the Secretariat.
(1) For wildlife, this includes a specimen born in captivity from an egg collected from the wild or from wildlife that mated or exchanged genetic material in the wild.
(2) For a plant, it includes a specimen propagated from a propagule collected from a wild plant, except as provided in § 23.64.