Ohio Admin. Code 3356-10-01 - Hiring and selection process for full and part-time faculty
Current through all regulations passed and filed through December 3, 2021
Replaces: Hiring and selection process for full and part-time faculty
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3356
Rule Amplifies: 3356
Prior Effective Dates: 08/15/1998, 06/16/2003, 08/21/2010, 01/22/2012
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
§ 3356-10-01. Hiring and selection process for full and part-time faculty
(A) Policy statement. While the president has overall responsibility for the management of the university, the responsibility for decisions regarding hiring priorities and the employment of faculty are delegated to the provost/vice-president for academic affairs. All faculty personnel decisions shall be consistent with applicable legal requirements and university policies and procedures. Personnel actions will become effective upon approval by the board of trustees.
(1) Recruitment to fill faculty positions shall be authorized by the provost/vice president for academic affairs. Faculty degree and credentials requirements should comply with higher learning commission expectations.
(2) Recruitment activities must conform to the university's equal opportunity and affirmative action procedures pursuant to rule 3356-2-02 of the Administrative Code (see university policy 3356-2-02, "Equal opportunity and affirmative action recruitment and employment"). The director of equal opportunity may require additional search postings and/or processes pursuant to rule 3356-2-02 of the Administrative Code.
(3) Faculty are designated as having either full-time or part-time status. Part-time faculty supplement full-time faculty to meet departmental instructional needs. Only full-time tenure track faculty (probationary or degree completion) are eligible to apply for tenure.
(4) The official offer of employment for full-time faculty is made by the provost/vice president for academic affairs upon the recommendation of the college dean, the chairperson of the department, and the office of human resources.
(5) The chief human resources officer will submit a summary of all full-time faculty appointments to the board of trustees at the next regularly scheduled meeting for approval. Offers of employment for full-time faculty shall be contingent upon approval by the board of trustees; however, faculty may begin employment prior to the approval by the board of trustees.
(6) Each full-time faculty member will be assigned a home department, which shall be that department in which the majority of the person's time is budgeted. In cases where the time assignment is evenly distributed, the home department shall be the department where the person holds academic rank.
(7) Except for department chairpersons (who are excluded from the bargaining unit), the types of contracts and terms and conditions of employment of full-time faculty are outlined in the "Agreement between Youngstown State University and Youngstown State University Chapter of the Ohio Education Association."
(8) Faculty responsibilities of departmental chairpersons are described in the "Department Chair Handbook."
(9) Part-time faculty members are appointed by the appropriate college dean upon the recommendation of the department chairperson and subject to review by the provost/vice president for academic affairs. Such appointments are for one academic term or a portion thereof. For purposes of compliance with the Revised Code and the state constitution regarding the hiring and the appointment of employees, including part-time faculty, the board of trustees designates the provost/vice president for academic affairs as the hiring authority for part-time faculty. The provost/vice president for academic affairs will ensure that the board of trustees receive information on an annual basis regarding the use of part-time faculty on an annual basis.
(10) Part-time faculty may teach up to nine workload hours each fall or spring semester and up to eighteen workload hours per academic year. The department chairperson must request a written waiver from the chief human resources officer to go beyond these workload hours. The chief human resources officer, or designee, will grant a waiver when it is in the best interest of the university.
(11) Part-time faculty are paid on the basis of workload hours taught and highest earned degree held. The rate of pay is identified in the university's annual operating budget which is approved by the board of trustees.
(12) Procedures, benefits, and other matters affecting part-time faculty are found in the "Part-time Faculty Manual" available in the office of academic affairs.
(13) Cross-reference. For information about faculty with graduate status, see rule 3356-10-02 of the Administrative Code (see also university policy 3356-10-02, "Graduate faculty"). For information about adjunct faculty, see rule 3356-10-09 of the Administrative Code (see also university policy 3356-10-09, "Adjunct faculty").
Replaces: Hiring and selection process for full and part-time faculty(Effective: 12/31/2018 Promulgated Under: 111.15 Statutory Authority: 3356 Rule Amplifies: 3356 Prior Effective Dates: 08/15/1998, 06/16/2003, 08/21/2010, 01/22/2012)