38 U.S. Code § 546 - Advisory Committee on Disability Compensation
prev | next
(1) There is in the Department the Advisory Committee on Disability Compensation (in this section referred to as the “Committee”).
(2) The Committee shall consist of not more than 18 members appointed by the Secretary from among individuals who—
(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), the Secretary shall determine the terms of service and pay and allowances of the members of the Committee.
(B) A term of service may not exceed four years and shall be staggered to ensure that the dates for the termination of the members’ terms are not all the same.
(b) Responsibilities of Committee.—
(1) The Secretary shall, on a regular basis, consult with and seek the advice of the Committee with respect to the maintenance and periodic readjustment of the schedule for rating disabilities under section 1155 of this title.
(A) In providing advice to the Secretary under this subsection, the Committee shall—
(ii) provide information relating to the nature and character of disabilities arising from service in the Armed Forces;
(iii) provide an on-going assessment of the effectiveness of the schedule for rating disabilities; and
(c) Resources.— The Secretary shall ensure that appropriate personnel, funding, and other resources are provided to the Committee to carry out its responsibilities.
(d) Biennial Reports to the Secretary.—
(1) Not later than October 31, 2010, and not less frequently than every two years thereafter, the Committee shall submit to the Secretary a report on the programs and activities of the Department that relate to the payment of disability compensation. Each such report shall include—
(e) Biennial Reports to Congress.—
(1) Not later than 90 days after the receipt of a report required under subsection (d)(1), the Secretary shall transmit to the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs of the Senate and the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs of the House of Representatives a copy of such report, together with such comments and recommendations concerning such report as the Secretary considers appropriate.
Source(Added Pub. L. 110–389, title II, § 214(a),Oct. 10, 2008, 122 Stat. 4152.)
References in Text
The Federal Advisory Committee Act, referred to in subsec. (f), is Pub. L. 92–463, Oct. 6, 1972, 86 Stat. 770, which is set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees.
Prior sections 601 to 603 and 610 to 613 were renumbered sections 1701 to 1703 and 1710 to 1713 of this title, respectively.
Another prior section 613,Pub. L. 85–857, Sept. 2, 1958, 72 Stat. 1143, related to fitting and training in use of prosthetic appliances, prior to repeal by section 103(b) ofPub. L. 93–82. See section 1714 (a) of this title.
Another prior section 620C, added Pub. L. 100–6, § 2(a),Feb. 12, 1987, 101 Stat. 92, related to community-based psychiatric residential treatment for chronically mentally ill veterans, prior to repeal by Pub. L. 100–322, title I, § 115(g)(1),May 20, 1988, 102 Stat. 502. See section 115 (a)–(f) of Pub. L. 100–322, set out as a note under section 1712 of this title.
Prior section 625,Pub. L. 85–857, Sept. 2, 1958, 72 Stat. 1144; Pub. L. 91–24, § 6(a),June 11, 1969, 83 Stat. 34, related to arrests for crimes in hospital and domiciliary reservations, prior to repeal by Pub. L. 93–43, §§ 4(b), 10(a),June 18, 1973, 87 Stat. 79, 88, effective June 18, 1973.
Another prior section 631,Pub. L. 85–857, Sept. 2, 1958, 72 Stat. 1145; Pub. L. 91–24, § 6(b),June 11, 1969, 83 Stat. 34, related to grants to the Republic of the Philippines, prior to repeal by section 107(a) ofPub. L. 93–82.
Prior section 632 was renumbered section 1732 of this title.
Another prior section 632,Pub. L. 85–857, Sept. 2, 1958, 72 Stat. 1146; Pub. L. 88–40, June 13, 1963, 77 Stat. 66; Pub. L. 89–612, § 2,Sept. 30, 1966, 80 Stat. 859; Pub. L. 91–24, § 6(c),June 11, 1969, 83 Stat. 34, related to modification of agreement with the Republic of the Philippines effectuating the Act of July 1, 1948, prior to repeal by section 107(a) ofPub. L. 93–82.
Prior sections 633 to 635 and 641 to 643 were renumbered sections 1733 to 1735 and 1741 to 1743 of this title, respectively.
Prior section 644, added Pub. L. 91–178, § 2(a),Dec. 30, 1969, 83 Stat. 836; amended Pub. L. 93–82, title IV, § 403(b),Aug. 2, 1973, 87 Stat. 196, authorized appropriations to be used for making grants to States which had submitted and had approved applications for assistance in remodeling, modification, or alteration of existing hospital or domiciliary facilities in State homes providing care and treatment for veterans, prior to repeal by Pub. L. 95–62, §§ 2, 5,July 5, 1977, 91 Stat. 262, 263, effective Oct. 1, 1977, but with provision for the continuing force and effect of the terms and conditions of grants made prior to Oct. 1, 1977, under prior section 644 and with additional provision for the modification of the terms and conditions of both grants made under that section prior to Oct. 1, 1977, and of grants made under subchapter III of chapter 81 of this title prior to Oct. 1, 1977.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.