The term “State” means each of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands of the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia.
7 U.S. Code § 2009 - Definitions
2002—Pub. L. 107–171 redesignated pars. (2) and (3) as (1) and (2), respectively, and struck out heading and text of former par. (1). Text read as follows: “The terms ‘rural’ and ‘rural area’ mean, subject to section 1926(a)(7) of this title, a city, town, or unincorporated area that has a population of 50,000 inhabitants or less, other than an urbanized area immediately adjacent to a city, town, or unincorporated area that has a population in excess of 50,000 inhabitants.”
Similar provisions were contained in Pub. L. 105–277, div. A, § 101(a) [title VII, § 735], Oct. 21, 1998, 112 Stat. 2681, 2681–29, prior to repeal by Pub. L. 107–171, title VI, § 6020(b)(3), May 13, 2002, 116 Stat. 363.
For termination of Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, see note set out preceding section 1681 of Title 48, Territories and Insular Possessions.
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 1999
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2000
- Bill Emerson National Hunger Fellows and Mickey Leland International Hunger Fellows Program Act of 2008
- Departments of Commerce, Justice, and State, the Judiciary, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 1999
- Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 1999