11 CFR 9036.4 - Commission review of submissions.
(a) Non-acceptance of submission for review of matchability.
(1) The Commission will make an initial review of each submission made under 11 CFR part 9036 to determine if it substantially meets the format requirements of 11 CFR 9036.1(b) and 9036.2(b) and the Federal Election Commission's Guideline for Presentation in Good Order. If the Commission determines that a submission does not substantially meet these requirements, it will not review the matchability of the contributions contained therein.
(2) For submissions made in the year before the Presidential election year (other than submissions made on the last submission date in that year), and submissions made after the candidate's date of ineligibility, the Commission will stop reviewing the submission once the projected dollar value of nonmatchable contributions exceeds 15% of the amount requested, as provided in 11 CFR 9036.2 (c) or (d), as applicable.
(3) Under either paragraphs (a)(1) or (a)(2) of this section, the Commission will return the submission to the candidate and request that it be corrected in accordance with the applicable requirements. If the candidate makes a corrected submission within 5 business days after the Commission's return of the original, the Commission will review the corrected submission prior to the next regularly scheduled submission date, and will certify to the Secretary the amount to which the candidate is entitled on the regularly scheduled certification date for the original submission. Corrected submissions made after this five-day period will be reviewed subsequent to the next regularly scheduled submission date, and the Commission will certify to the Secretary the amount to which the candidate is entitled on the next regularly scheduled certification date. Each corrected submission shall only contain contributions previously submitted for matching in the returned submission and no new or additional contributions.
(b) Acceptance of submission for review of matchability. If the Commission determines that a submission made under 11 CFR part 9036 satisfies the requirements of 11 CFR 9036.1(b) and 9036.2 (b), (c) and (d), and the Federal Election Commission's Guideline for Presentation in Good Order, it will review the matchability of the contributions contained therein. The Commission, in conducting its review, may utilize statistical sampling techniques. Based on the results of its review, the Commission may calculate a matchable amount for the submission which is less than the amount requested by the candidate. If the Commission certifies for payment to the Secretary an amount that is less than the amount requested by the candidate in a particular submission, or reduces the amount of a subsequent certification to the Secretary by adjusting a previous certification made under 11 CFR 9036.2(c)(1), the Commission will notify the candidate in writing of the following:
(1) The amount of the difference between the amount requested and the amount to be certified by the Commission;
(2) The amount of each contribution and the corresponding contributor's name for each contribution that the Commission has rejected as nonmatchable and the reason that it is not matchable; or if statistical sampling is used, the estimated amount of contributions by type and the reason for rejection;
(3) The amount of contributions that have been determined to be matchable and that the Commission will certify to the Secretary for payment; and
(4) A statement that the candidate may supply the Commission with additional documentation or other information in the resubmission of any rejected contribution under 11 CFR 9036.5 in order to show that a rejected contribution is matchable under 11 CFR 9034.2.
(c) Adjustment of amount to be certified by Commission.
(1) The candidate shall notify the Commission as soon as possible if the candidate or the candidate's authorized committee(s) has knowledge that a contribution submitted for matching does not qualify under 11 CFR 9034.2 as a matchable contribution, such as a check returned to the committee for insufficient funds or a contribution that has been refunded, so that the Commission may properly adjust the amount to be certified for payment.
(2) After the candidate's date of ineligibility, if the candidate does not receive the entire amount of matching funds on a regularly scheduled payment date due to a shortfall in the matching payment account, prior to each subsequent payment date on which the candidate receives payments from any previous certification, the Commission may revise the amount previously certified for payment pursuant to 11 CFR 9034.5(f). The Commission will promptly notify the Secretary and the candidate of any revision to the amount certified.
(d) Commission audit of submissions. The Commission may determine, for the reasons stated in 11 CFR part 9039, that an audit and examination of contributions submitted for matching payment is warranted. The audit and examination shall be conducted in accordance with the procedures of 11 CFR part 9039.