12 CFR 1291.1 - Definitions.
prev | next
As used in this part:
Affordable means that:
(1) The rent charged to a household for a unit that is to be reserved for occupancy by a household with an income at or below 80 percent of the median income for the area, does not exceed 30 percent of the income of a household of the maximum income and size expected, under the commitment made in the AHP application, to occupy the unit (assuming occupancy of 1.5 persons per bedroom or 1.0 persons per unit without a separate bedroom); or
(2) The rent charged to a household, for rental units subsidized withSection 8 assistance under 42 U.S.C. 1437f or subsidized under another assistance program where the rents are charged in the same way as under the Section 8 program, if the rent complied with this § 1291.1 of this part at the time of the household's initial occupancy and the household continues to be assisted through the Section 8 or another assistance program, respectively.
AHP project means a single-family or multifamily housing project for owner-occupied or rental housing that has been awarded or has received AHP subsidy under the competitive application program.
Competitive application program means a program established by a Bank under which the Bank awards and disburses AHP subsidy through a competitive application scoring process pursuant to the requirements of § 1291.5 of this part.
Cost of funds means, for purposes of a subsidized advance, the estimated cost of issuing Bank System consolidated obligations with maturities comparable to that of the subsidized advance.
Direct subsidy means an AHP subsidy in the form of a direct cash payment.
Eligible household means a household that meets the income limits and other requirements specified by a Bank for its competitive application program and homeownership set-aside programs, provided that:
(1) In the case of owner-occupied housing, the household's income may not exceed 80 percent of the median income for the area; and
(2) In the case of rental housing, the household's income in at least 20 percent of the units may not exceed 50 percent of the median income for the area.
Eligible project means a project eligible to receive AHP subsidy pursuant to the requirements of this part.
Eligible targeted refinancing program means a program offered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae), the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac), a State or local government, or a State or local housing finance agency for the limited purpose of refinancing (i.e., paying off) first mortgages on primary residences for households that cannot afford or are at risk of not being able to afford their monthly payments, as defined by the program, in order to prevent foreclosure.
Family member means any individual related to a person by blood, marriage, or adoption.
Funding period means a time period, as determined by a Bank, during which the Bank accepts AHP applications for subsidy.
Homeownership set-aside program means a program established by a Bank under which the Bank disburses AHP direct subsidy pursuant to the requirements of § 1291.6 of this part.
Loan pool means a group of mortgage or other loans meeting the requirements of this part that are purchased, pooled, and held in trust.
Low- or moderate-income household means a household that has an income of 80 percent or less of the median income for the area, with the income limit adjusted for household size in accordance with the methodology of the applicable median income standard, unless such median income standard has no household size adjustment methodology.
Low- or moderate-income neighborhood means any neighborhood in which 51 percent or more of the households have incomes at or below 80 percent of the median income for the area.
Median income for the area means one or more of the following median income standards as determined by a Bank, after consultation with its Advisory Council, in its AHP Implementation Plan:
(2) The median income for the area obtained from the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council;
(3) The applicable median family income, as determined under26 U.S.C. 143(f) (Mortgage Revenue Bonds) and published by a state agency or instrumentality;
(5) The median income for an applicable definable geographic area, as published by a federal, state, or local government entity, and approved by the FHFA, at the request of a Bank, for use under the AHP.
Multifamily building means a structure with 5 or more dwelling units.
Net earnings of a Bank means the net earnings of a Bank for a calendar year after deducting the Bank's annual contribution to the Resolution Funding Corporation required under section 21B of the Act (12 U.S.C. 1441b), and before declaring or paying any dividend under section 16 of the Act (12 U.S.C. 1436). For purposes of this part, “dividend” includes any dividends on capital stock subject to a redemption request even if under GAAP those dividends are treated as an “interest expense.”
Owner-occupied project means, for purposes of the competitive application program, one or more owner-occupied units in a single-family or multifamily building, including condominiums, cooperative housing, and manufactured housing.
Owner-occupied unit means a dwelling unit occupied by the owner of the unit. Housing with 2 to 4 dwelling units consisting of one owner-occupied unit and one or more rental units is considered a single owner-occupied unit.
Program means the Affordable Housing Program established pursuant to this part.
Rental project means, for purposes of the competitive application program, one or more dwelling units for occupancy by households that are not owner-occupants, including overnight and emergency shelters, transitional housing for homeless households, mutual housing, single-room occupancy housing, and manufactured housing.
Retention period means:
(1) Five years from closing for an AHP-assisted owner-occupied unit, or in the case of rehabilitation of a unit currently occupied by the owner where there is no closing, 5 years from the date established by the Bank in its AHP Implementation Plan; and
Revolving loan fund means a capital fund established to make mortgage or other loans whereby loan principal is repaid into the fund and re-lent to other borrowers.
Single-family building means a structure with 1 to 4 dwelling units.
Sponsor means a not-for-profit or for-profit organization or public entity that:
(1) Has an ownership interest (including any partnership interest), as defined by the Bank in its AHP Implementation Plan, in a rental project;
(2) Is integrally involved, as defined by the Bank in its AHP Implementation Plan, in an owner-occupied project, such as by exercising control over the planning, development, or management of the project, or by qualifying borrowers and providing or arranging financing for the owners of the units;
Subsidized advance means an advance to a member at an interest rate reduced below the Bank's cost of funds by use of a subsidy.
(1) A direct subsidy, provided that if a direct subsidy is used to write down the interest rate on a loan extended by a member, sponsor, or other party to a project, the subsidy must equal the net present value of the interest foregone from making the loan below the lender's market interest rate; or
(2) The net present value of the interest revenue foregone from making a subsidized advance at a rate below the Bank's cost of funds.
Very low-income household means a household that has an income at or below 50 percent of the median income for the area, with the income limit adjusted for household size in accordance with the methodology of the applicable median income standard, unless such median income standard has no household size adjustment methodology.
Visitable means, in either owner-occupied or rental housing, at least one entrance is at-grade (no steps) and approached by an accessible route such as a sidewalk, and the entrance door and all interior passage doors are at least 2 feet, 10 inches wide, offering 32 inches of clear passage space.
Title 12 published on 2015-01-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 12 CFR Part 1291.