12 CFR 208.71 - What are the requirements to invest in or control a financial subsidiary?
prev | next
(a) In general. A state member bank may control, or hold an interest in, a financial subsidiary only if:
(1) The state member bank and each depository institution affiliate of the state member bank are well capitalized and well managed;
(2) The aggregate consolidated total assets of all financial subsidiaries of the state member bank do not exceed the lesser of:
(ii) $50 billion, which dollar amount shall be adjusted according to an indexing mechanism jointly established by the Board and the Secretary of the Treasury;
(3) The state member bank, if it is one of the largest 100 insured banks (based on consolidated total assets as of the end of the previous calendar year), meets the debt rating or alternative requirement of paragraph (b) of this section, if applicable; and
(4) The Board or the appropriate Reserve Bank has approved the bank to acquire the interest in or control the financial subsidiary under§ 208.76.
(1) General. A state member bank meets the debt rating or alternative requirement of this paragraph (b) if:
(i) The bank has at least one issue of eligible debt outstanding that is currently rated in one of the three highest investment grade rating categories by a nationally recognized statistical rating organization; or
(ii) If the bank is one of the second 50 largest insured banks (based on consolidated total assets as of the end of the previous calendar year), the bank has a current long-term issuer credit rating from at least one nationally recognized statistical rating organization that is within the three highest investment grade rating categories used by the organization.
(2) Financial subsidiaries engaged in financial activities only as agent. This paragraph (b) does not apply to a state member bank if the financial subsidiaries of the bank engage in financial activities described in § 208.72(a)(1) and (2) only in an agency capacity and not directly or indirectly as principal.
Title 12 published on 2015-01-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 12 CFR Part 208.