2 CFR § 200.507 - Program-specific audits.
(a) Program-specific audit guide available. In some cases, a program-specific audit guide will be available to provide specific guidance to the auditor with respect to internal controls, compliance requirements, suggested audit procedures, and audit reporting requirements. A listing of current program-specific audit guides can be found in the compliance supplement, Part 8, Appendix VI, Program-Specific Audit Guides, which includes a website where a copy of the guide can be obtained. When a current program-specific audit guide is available, the auditor must follow GAGAS and the guide when performing a program-specific audit.
(b) Program-specific audit guide not available.
(1) When a current program-specific audit guide is not available, the auditee and auditor must have basically the same responsibilities for the Federal program as they would have for an audit of a major program in a single audit.
(2) The auditee must prepare the financial statement(s) for the Federal program that includes, at a minimum, a schedule of expenditures of Federal awards for the program and notes that describe the significant accounting policies used in preparing the schedule, a summary schedule of prior audit findings consistent with the requirements of § 200.511(b), and a corrective action plan consistent with the requirements of § 200.511(c).
(3) The auditor must:
(i) Perform an audit of the financial statement(s) for the Federal program in accordance with GAGAS;
(iii) Perform procedures to determine whether the auditee has complied with Federal statutes, regulations, and the terms and conditions of Federal awards that could have a direct and material effect on the Federal program consistent with the requirements of § 200.514(d) for a major program;
(iv) Follow up on prior audit findings, perform procedures to assess the reasonableness of the summary schedule of prior audit findings prepared by the auditee in accordance with the requirements of § 200.511, and report, as a current year audit finding, when the auditor concludes that the summary schedule of prior audit findings materially misrepresents the status of any prior audit finding; and
(4) The auditor's report(s) may be in the form of either combined or separate reports and may be organized differently from the manner presented in this section. The auditor's report(s) must state that the audit was conducted in accordance with this part and include the following:
(i) An opinion (or disclaimer of opinion) as to whether the financial statement(s) of the Federal program is presented fairly in all material respects in accordance with the stated accounting policies;
(ii) A report on internal control related to the Federal program, which must describe the scope of testing of internal control and the results of the tests;
(iii) A report on compliance which includes an opinion (or disclaimer of opinion) as to whether the auditee complied with laws, regulations, and the terms and conditions of Federal awards which could have a direct and material effect on the Federal program; and
(iv) A schedule of findings and questioned costs for the Federal program that includes a summary of the auditor's results relative to the Federal program in a format consistent with § 200.515(d)(1) and findings and questioned costs consistent with the requirements of § 200.515(d)(3).
(c) Report submission for program-specific audits.
(1) The audit must be completed and the reporting required by paragraph (c)(2) or (c)(3) of this section submitted within the earlier of 30 calendar days after receipt of the auditor's report(s), or nine months after the end of the audit period, unless a different period is specified in a program-specific audit guide. Unless restricted by Federal law or regulation, the auditee must make report copies available for public inspection. Auditees and auditors must ensure that their respective parts of the reporting package do not include protected personally identifiable information.
(2) When a program-specific audit guide is available, the auditee must electronically submit to the FAC the data collection form prepared in accordance with § 200.512(b), as applicable to a program-specific audit, and the reporting required by the program-specific audit guide.
(3) When a program-specific audit guide is not available, the reporting package for a program-specific audit must consist of the financial statement(s) of the Federal program, a summary schedule of prior audit findings, and a corrective action plan as described in paragraph (b)(2) of this section, and the auditor's report(s) described in paragraph (b)(4) of this section. The data collection form prepared in accordance with § 200.512(b), as applicable to a program-specific audit, and one copy of this reporting package must be electronically submitted to the FAC.
(d) Other sections of this part may apply. Program-specific audits are subject to:
(1) 200.500 Purpose through 200.503 Relation to other audit requirements, paragraph (d);
(2) 200.504 Frequency of audits through 200.506 Audit costs;
(4) 200.511 Audit findings follow-up;
(5) 200.512 Report submission, paragraphs (e) through (h);
(6) 200.513 Responsibilities;
(7) 200.516 Audit findings through 200.517 Audit documentation;
(8) 200.521 Management decision; and
(9) Other referenced provisions of this part unless contrary to the provisions of this section, a program-specific audit guide, or program statutes and regulations.