40 CFR 60.482-1 - Standards: General.
(a) Each owner or operator subject to the provisions of this subpart shall demonstrate compliance with the requirements of §§ 60.482-1 through 60.482-10 or § 60.480(e) for all equipment within 180 days of initial startup.
(b) Compliance with §§ 60.482-1 to 60.482-10 will be determined by review of records and reports, review of performance test results, and inspection using the methods and procedures specified in § 60.485.
(1) An owner or operator may request a determination of equivalence of a means of emission limitation to the requirements of §§ 60.482-2, 60.482-3, 60.482-5, 60.482-6, 60.482-7, 60.482-8, and 60.482-10 as provided in § 60.484.
(2) If the Administrator makes a determination that a means of emission limitation is at least equivalent to the requirements of § 60.482-2, § 60.482-3, § 60.482-5, § 60.482-6, § 60.482-7, § 60.482-8, or § 60.482-10, an owner or operator shall comply with the requirements of that determination.
(e) Equipment that an owner or operator designates as being in VOC service less than 300 hours (hr)/yr is excluded from the requirements of §§ 60.482-2 through 60.482-10 if it is identified as required in § 60.486(e)(6) and it meets any of the conditions specified in paragraphs (e)(1) through (3) of this section.
(1) If a dedicated batch process unit operates less than 365 days during a year, an owner or operator may monitor to detect leaks from pumps and valves at the frequency specified in the following table instead of monitoring as specified in §§ 60.482-2, 60.482-7, and 60.483-2:
|Operating time (percent of hours during year)||Equivalent monitoring frequency time in use|
|0 to <25||Quarterly||Annually||Annually.|
|25 to <50||Quarterly||Semiannually||Annually.|
|50 to <75||Bimonthly||Three quarters||Semiannually.|
|75 to 100||Monthly||Quarterly||Semiannually.|
(2) Pumps and valves that are shared among two or more batch process units that are subject to this subpart may be monitored at the frequencies specified in paragraph (f)(1) of this section, provided the operating time of all such process units is considered.
(3) The monitoring frequencies specified in paragraph (f)(1) of this section are not requirements for monitoring at specific intervals and can be adjusted to accommodate process operations. An owner or operator may monitor at any time during the specified monitoring period (e.g., month, quarter, year), provided the monitoring is conducted at a reasonable interval after completion of the last monitoring campaign. Reasonable intervals are defined in paragraphs (f)(3)(i) through (iv) of this section.
(i) When monitoring is conducted quarterly, monitoring events must be separated by at least 30 calendar days.
(ii) When monitoring is conducted semiannually (i.e., once every 2 quarters), monitoring events must be separated by at least 60 calendar days.
(iii) When monitoring is conducted in 3 quarters per year, monitoring events must be separated by at least 90 calendar days.
(iv) When monitoring is conducted annually, monitoring events must be separated by at least 120 calendar days.
(g) If the storage vessel is shared with multiple process units, the process unit with the greatest annual amount of stored materials (predominant use) is the process unit the storage vessel is assigned to. If the storage vessel is shared equally among process units, and one of the process units has equipment subject to subpart VVa of this part, the storage vessel is assigned to that process unit. If the storage vessel is shared equally among process units, none of which have equipment subject to subpart VVa of this part, the storage vessel is assigned to any process unit subject to this subpart. If the predominant use of the storage vessel varies from year to year, then the owner or operator must estimate the predominant use initially and reassess every 3 years. The owner or operator must keep records of the information and supporting calculations that show how predominant use is determined. All equipment on the storage vessel must be monitored when in VOC service.
- 40 CFR 60.480 — Applicability and Designation of Affected Facility.
- 40 CFR 60.481 — Definitions.
- 40 CFR 60.562-2 — Standards: Equipment Leaks of VOC.
- 40 CFR 60.482-7 — Standards: Valves in Gas/Vapor Service and in Light Liquid Service.
- 40 CFR 60.486 — Recordkeeping Requirements.
- 40 CFR 60.482-5 — Standards: Sampling Connection Systems.
- 40 CFR 60.482-6 — Standards: Open-Ended Valves or Lines.
- 40 CFR 60.592 — Standards.
- 40 CFR 60.632 — Standards.
- 40 CFR 60.482-3 — Standards: Compressors.
- 40 CFR 60.482-1 — Standards: General.
- 40 CFR 60.485 — Test Methods and Procedures.
- 40 CFR 60.591 — Definitions.
- 40 CFR 60.482-2 — Standards: Pumps in Light Liquid Service.