42 CFR 435.117 - Deemed newborn children.
(a)Basis. This section implements sections 1902(e)(4) and 2112(e) of the Act.
(1) The agency must provide Medicaid to children from birth until the child's first birthday without application if, for the date of the child's birth, the child's mother was eligible for and received covered services under -
(i) The Medicaid State plan (including during a period of retroactive eligibility under § 435.915) regardless of whether payment for services for the mother is limited to services necessary to treat an emergency medical condition, as defined in section 1903(v)(3) of the Act; or
(ii) The CHIP State plan as a targeted low-income pregnant woman in accordance with section 2112 of the Act, with household income at or below the income standard established by the agency under § 435.118 for infants under age 1.
(2) The agency may provide coverage under this section to children from birth until the child's first birthday without application who are not described in (b)(1) of this section if, for the date of the child's birth, the child's mother was eligible for and received covered services under -
(ii) Any of the following, provided that household income of the child's mother at the time of the child's birth is at or below the income standard established by the agency under § 435.118 for infants under age 1:
(3) The child is deemed to have applied and been determined eligible under the Medicaid State plan effective as of the date of birth, and remains eligible regardless of changes in circumstances until the child's first birthday, unless the child dies or ceases to be a resident of the State or the child's representative requests a voluntary termination of eligibility.
(c)Medicaid identification number.
(1) The Medicaid identification number of the mother serves as the child's identification number, and all claims for covered services provided to the child may be submitted and paid under such number, unless and until the State issues the child a separate identification number.
(2) The State must issue a separate Medicaid identification number for the child prior to the effective date of any termination of the mother's eligibility or prior to the date of the child's first birthday, whichever is sooner, except that the State must issue a separate Medicaid identification number in the case of a child born to a mother:
(ii) Covered under the State's separate CHIP; or
(iii) Who received Medicaid in another State on the date of birth.
(d)Renewal of eligibility. A redetermination of eligibility must be completed on behalf of the children described in this provision in accordance with the procedures at § 435.916. At that time, the State must collect documentary evidence of citizenship and identity as required under § 435.406.
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 435 after this date.