42 CFR 435.1200 - Medicaid agency responsibilities.
(a) Statutory basis and purpose. This section implements sections 1943 and 2102(b)(3)(B) of the Affordable Care Act to ensure coordinated eligibility and enrollment among insurance affordability programs.
(1) Fulfill the responsibilities set forth in paragraphs (d) and (e) and, if applicable, paragraph (c) of this section in partnership with other insurance affordability programs.
(3) Enter into and, upon request, provide to the Secretary one or more agreements with the Exchange and the agencies administering other insurance affordability programs as are necessary to fulfill the requirements of this section, including a clear delineation of the responsibilities of each program to -
(i) Minimize burden on individuals;
(ii) Ensure compliance with paragraphs (d) through (f) of this section and, if applicable, paragraph (c) of this section;
(iii) Ensure prompt determinations of eligibility and enrollment in the appropriate program without undue delay, consistent with timeliness standards established under § 435.912, based on the date the application is submitted to any insurance affordability program.
(c) Provision of Medicaid for individuals found eligible for Medicaid by another insurance affordability program. If the agency has entered into an agreement in accordance with § 431.10(d) of this subchapter under which the Exchange or other insurance affordability program makes final determinations of Medicaid eligibility, for each individual determined so eligible by the Exchange or other program, the agency must -
(d) Transfer from other insurance affordability programs to the State Medicaid agency. For individuals for whom another insurance affordability program has not made a determination of Medicaid eligibility, but who have been screened as potentially Medicaid eligible, the agency must -
(2) Not request information or documentation from the individual already provided to another insurance affordability program and included in the individual's electronic account or other transmission from the other program.
(3) Promptly and without undue delay, consistent with timeliness standards established under § 435.912, determine the Medicaid eligibility of the individual, in accordance with § 435.911 of this part, without requiring submission of another application.
(4) Accept any finding relating to a criterion of eligibility made by such program, without further verification, if such finding was made in accordance with policies and procedures which are the same as those applied by the agency or approved by it in the agreement described in paragraph (b) of this section;
(5) Notify such program of the receipt of the electronic account.
(e) Evaluation of eligibility for other insurance affordability programs -
(1) Individuals determined not eligible for Medicaid. For each individual who submits an application or renewal form to the agency which includes sufficient information to determine Medicaid eligibility, or whose eligibility is being renewed pursuant to a change in circumstance in accordance with § 435.916(d) of this part, and whom the agency determines is not eligible for Medicaid, the agency must, promptly and without undue delay, consistent with timeliness standards established under § 435.912 of this part, determine potential eligibility for, and, as appropriate, transfer via a secure electronic interface the individual's electronic account to, other insurance affordability programs.
(2) Individuals undergoing a Medicaid eligibility determination on a basis other than MAGI. In the case of an individual with household income greater than the applicable MAGI standard and for whom the agency is determining eligibility in accordance with § 435.911(c)(2) of this part, the agency must promptly and without undue delay, consistent with timeliness standards established under § 435.912 of this part, determine potential eligibility for, and as appropriate transfer via secure electronic interface, the individual's electronic account to, other insurance affordability programs and provide timely notice to such other program -
(3) The agency may enter into an agreement with the Exchange to make determinations of eligibility for advance payments of the premium tax credit and cost sharing reductions, consistent with 45 CFR 155.110(a)(2).
(f) Internet Web site.
(ii) Supports applicant and beneficiary activities, including accessing information on the insurance affordability programs available in the State, applying for and renewing coverage, and other activities as appropriate.
(2) Such Web site, any interactive kiosks and other information systems established by the State to support Medicaid information and enrollment activities must be in plain language and be accessible to individuals with disabilities and persons who are limited English proficient, consistent with § 435.905(b) of this subpart.
- 42 CFR 457.300 — Basis, Scope, and Applicability.
- 42 CFR 457.340 — Application for and Enrollment in CHIP.
- 42 CFR 435.1205 — Alignment With Exchange Initial Open Enrollment Period.
- 42 CFR 457.350 — Eligibility Screening and Enrollment in Other Insurance Affordability Programs.
- 42 CFR 600.330 — Coordination With Other Insurance Affordability Programs.
- 45 CFR 155.305 — Eligibility Standards.
- 45 CFR 155.300 — Definitions and General Standards for Eligibility Determinations.