42 CFR § 435.733 - Post-eligibility treatment of income of institutionalized individuals in States using more restrictive requirements than SSI: Application of patient income to the cost of care.
(a) Basic rules.
(1) The agency must reduce its payment to an institution, for services provided to an individual specified in paragraph (b) of this section, by the amount that remains after deducting the amounts specified in paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section, from the individual's total income.
(3) Medical expenses must be determined in accordance with paragraph (f) of this section.
(b) Applicability. This section applies to the following individuals in medical institutions and intermediate care facilities:
(3) Aged, blind, and disabled individuals who are eligible for Medicaid, under § 435.231, under a higher income standard than the standard used in determining eligibility for SSI or optional State supplements.
(c) Required deductions. The agency must deduct the following amounts, in the following order, from the individual's total income, as determined under paragraph (e) of this section. Income that was disregarded in determining eligibility must be considered in this process.
(1) Personal needs allowance. A personal needs allowance that is reasonable in amount for clothing and other personal needs of the individual while in the institution. This protected personal needs allowance must be at least -
(iii) For other individuals, a reasonable amount set by the agency, based on a reasonable difference in their personal needs from those of the aged, blind, and disabled.
(2) Maintenance needs of spouse. For an individual with only a spouse at home, an additional amount for the maintenance needs of the spouse. This amount must be based on a reasonable assessment of need but must not exceed the higher of -
(3) Maintenance needs of family. For an individual with a family at home, an additional amount for the maintenance needs of the family. This amount must -
(i) Be based on a reasonable assessment of their financial need;
(ii) Be adjusted for the number of family members living in the home; and
(iii) Not exceed the higher of the need standard for a family of the same size used to determine eligibility under the State's approved AFDC plan or the medically needy income standard established under § 435.811, if the agency provides Medicaid under the medically needy coverage option for a family of the same size.
(4) Expenses not subject to third party payment. Amounts for incurred expenses for medical or remedial care that are not subject to payment by a third party, including -
(i) Medicare and other health insurance permiums, deductibles, or coinsurance charges; and
(d) Optional deduction: Allowance for home maintenance. For single individuals and couples, an amount (in addition to the personal needs allowance) for maintenance of the individual's or couple's home if -
(1) The amount is deducted for not more than a 6-month period; and
(2) A physician has certified that either of the individuals is likely to return to the home within that period.
(e) Determination of income -
(1) Option. In determining the amount of an individual's income to be used to reduce the agency's payment to the institution, the agency may use total income received, or it may project total monthly income for a prospective period not to exceed 6 months.
(f) Determination of medical expenses -
(1) Option. In determining the amount of medical expenses that may be deducted from an individual's income, the agency may deduct incurred medical expenses, or it may project medical expenses for a prospective period not to exceed 6 months.
(2) Basis for projection. The agency must base the estimate on medical expenses incurred in the preceding period, not to exceed 6 months, and medical expenses expected to be incurred.
(3) Adjustments. At the end of the prospective period specified in paragraph (f)(1) of this section, or when any significant change occurs, the agency must reconcile estimates with incurred medical expenses.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
- N.H. Code Admin. R. He-E 801.11 - He-E 801.11 - Post-Eligibility Computation of Cost of Care for CFI Services
- N.H. Code Admin. R. He-W 854.17 - He-W 854.17 - Post-Eligibility Computation of Cost of Care for Nursing Facility Care